Time to get SSD

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by AndreasGuido, Dec 5, 2012.

1. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
  2. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Operating system on the ssd for sure. Most, if not all, games on the storage drive.

3. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    OS, programs and most, if not all, games on SSD.

4. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    ^^ and games too?! guess ill have to install games one by one! :D hows that samsung?

5. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Games will load faster and some will play smoother. It's not necessary though. Won't save as much time as keeping OS and programs on SSD.

Samsung 830 is a great SSD. It, unfortunately, might get replaced soon with slower and less durable 840. Grab 830 while it's still available. 256GB version if you have 150 pounds to spend. It's faster and more durable than 128GB.

There's also 840 Pro, which is faster than 830. But it's also quite a bit more expensive. Not worth the price, IMO. Better get a higher capacity 830.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Thanks dude! yea guess it doesnt hurt to install one and see if its any faster!

well Santa is suppose to bring it this xmas, im just about to send him email lol

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    SSDs from Intel are one of the most reliable on the market, but they range in the premium price range

8. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
  9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im in the same boat, although im thinking between

-OCZ Vertex4 256gb (good/great reads and great writes)
    -Samsung 830 256gb (great reads and ok writes)
    -Intel 335 240gb (in between both, has better writes (higher IOPS) then Samsung)

I would most definitely install OS and all programs on it and maybe games that use a lot of streaming/or have stutters (mmo Rift and a like, few U3E games - with streaming issues, TES5 Skyrim and maybe BF3)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

11. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    i think im gonna get Samsung 830 for now. Purely for OC and software and then splash out for bigger one in few months

12. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Vertex 4 has nice specs and high benchmark numbers, but real world performance is lower than 830. That and Samsung's reliability track record made me choose 830 over V4.

13. facetime

facetime Guest

GPU:
    ATI
    Samsung 840 Pro is the way to you if you can cough up the extra cash. I saw earlier it was listed @ Gadgetar for $139 which is not bad price for 128GB.

But again you can get 840 non pro version for under $100.

14. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    It would almost be silly to buy an SSD and not put the OS and programs on it, when you can afford another, have it dedicated for games.

About two weeks ago I picked up a 128gb 840 pro for OS and programs, really for no other reason than to try it out... very impressed so far.

I got the pro for only a few bucks more then 830, so I was like why not, helped curve the up-grade itch. If the 840 pro costs considerably more than the 830, get the 830 or even an M4 which can be found at an excellent price if you look around.

I also really like the Corsair Sandforce drives and would recommend then as well.

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

the drives Tj listed are the only SSDs on the market that haven't had any issues as of yet. Oh and Mushkin too. I haven't read about any problems from them concerning their SSDs either.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I have the 256 gb Samsung 830 in my lappy,best thing i bought in years.
    Get it,it is a very good SSD!
    Before i had a 128 gb Crucial M4,tried a few OCZ SSDs at work and an Intel SSD.
    From the moment i installed W 7 on myy Samsung SSD,i knew i had a winner.

17. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    ^ Agreed, out of all the drives I've tried, samsung is my top pick. I’ll have to wait and see if the 840 pro is as reliable as the 830... I have faith.

18. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    ah thanks guys! i am deciding between 830 and 840 pro. Depends on the prices. ill install os and progs on it, try occasional game and if i see major increased performance in games ill get second one in few months!

19. Isaac

Isaac Guest

GPU:
    580GTX
    Get Samsung 128GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series and use it for OS and gaming.It is now the way of modern computing.