120MM Case Fan Question (Replace or hold off)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mad-Man, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    Within the last few days I have had 3 of make case fans make a constant clicking noise so I looked for any thing that may be causing such click but I couldn't find anything. So since I have had these fans for about 3 to 4 years now and my computer rarely gets shut down I'm wondering if this is a sign to replace them but here is the weird thing to add to this, if I leave my system up all of the time the clicking noise is really hard to hear but if I shut it down and when I go to turn it back on those fans make that noise for about 15 minutes along with giving me a warning that these fans are not spinning at normal operation which is right around 1600 RPM"s. The fans start right around 900RPM"s. With this being said I really don't have a problem leaving my PC running all of the time but I recently went up to an all in one liquid CPU cooler from Thermaltake and I'm afraid if I leave my system on all of the time I'm gonna hurt the pump or something. Also the brand of fans I have are the Thermaltake AF0032 120MM Blue LED. So does this click mean I about due for new fans or will mine make it a little while longer. Thanks.

2. thefunkyone

thefunkyone Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI Geforce 670 SLI
    It would be wise to replace them......

Its hard to say how long the fans will last, they could last a while or die soon, Generally since the fans are just making the noise at start up they should have a bit of life left in them, when they start making noise after they have been running a while that is a definite sign to change them, but since fans are cheap i would say just replace them now, saves any worry...

You could go the mega cheapy route and take them apart and re-oil them but that's more hassle than they are worth...

3. Mad-Man

Mad-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 285 2Gig
    I went your route and was able to get a few drops of oil on the internal workings of the fan to help stop the noise during start up. But next month I'm planing on replacing them anyways for the in case of because one of the three started to make a humming noise just yesterday, so I'm guessing that means that fan is on its last leg. I'm just glad it is my front fan and not of the fans on my radiator for my liquid cooling unit.