960 evo 1TB for $629aus or 960 pro 2Tb $1599...wwyd

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Emille, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I have a 950 pro as my main drive and even when I uninstall as much as possible so I can play different games, it is so full there is about 12gb free and it's also my main drive.

The $629 price is super cheap but it I fill it up with my existing games I will probably be pissed, at the same time the $1599 price of the 2TB is disgusting but it would be more than enough for like the next for yeata worth of games that I will play, even if I leave them installed.

I know there are other options like a different drive but I plan to eliminate all sata drives and mechanical drives within the next few years so this would give me my main drive and gaming drive and I will buy an affordable m.2 2-4tb drive for storage if such a thing ever exists.

Of the 2 drives and their prices listed....what woulf you do...just buy the 1tb and say **** it or save for the 2tb and know you won't have to do exactly what I'm doing now...wishing I had a bigger drive again.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Take the 1Tb now, wait another year or two when a 2TB will be half the price of 1600.

Too expensive ATM.

3. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice.

4. Cry

Cry Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI SeaHawk
    Buy 2x1TB and raid 0 them, then take an image backup to a external drive every 6 month and put your important files on cloud storage.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Windows 8.1/10 has a new built in file compression system that is actively used by Windows. You can apply this to any folder. Xpress4K is the default new format, but Xpress16K is more efficient and it's just as fast. LZX is an option, compresses best, but is slower. it won't be been beneficial on files that don't compress well (little to no data patterns), or files that are already compressed like video or audio files. It can save tens of gigabytes for some games and little in others. There needs to be a program to recurse folders and compress files based on a list of known extensions. For example, automatically skip already compressed files and those with .mp3, .mkv, .m4a, .jpg extensions, and automatically select files known to compress. For other file types try compression, if effective add the extension to the accept list, if not add it to the skip list.

6. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Why would anyone buy the fastest SSD they can buy and then compress the files so that accessing the files is slower. That's like saying but a 1080 ti and run it in 2d clocks at all times to save power.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The compression and decompression is very fast, considerably faster than old NTFS compression. Since space is consideration it isn't a bad suggestion :). For those with mechanical drives, load times can actually improve (I've seen this!), depending on the compression achieved.

8. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I finally ordered a 2TB 960 pro. I wanted to wait for then 980 series next year but thought that given inital bloated prices and low availability could mean a 3-5 month wait for a $2200au ssd...

The 960 dropped down to $1559au which is the lowest I think it will go so I just snagged it now.

Now I don't have to get frustrated as my savings goes up and down. What's done is done and I'm very happy with it.

Got a fast gaming drive that will probably fit all my games plus anything else I buy over the next 5 years. I don't buy as many games as I used to. Too much garbage.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I like a man whose truly committed to maxing his gaming experience like that. (Then again, I just bought a new gaming notebook)

10. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    This is the way to do it. Pull the trigger and don't look back!

Enjoy your sick storage capacity.