Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro to cost $899

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft announced the Surface tablet with Windows 8 Pro will hit the market in January, prices start at $899 for the 64GB version and $999 for the 128GB model, but none of the two tablets come with ...

Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro to cost $899

2. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Don't think I'll bother.
    Really pleased with my customised Galaxy Note 10.1 ( white, WiFi only 16Gb version) Tablet.
    OK, I know it costs about half of what the Micro$haft slate costs, but I'm really happy with it. ;)

3. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Nice tablet that is no doubt, but the price is just ridiculous.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Too much money for a tablet it cost more than an iPad nothing should cost more than an Apple. Maybe this is why they cut the orders in half.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Microscam! lmao i seriously hope the next xbox isnt some overpriced, peice of hardware with issue like the 360 when it come out and the surface

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    In contrast to iPad, that's a fully functional PC in tablet form factor. But it needs a docking station, or a few of them. If you want just a tablet, then buy just a tablet - it'll be cheaper, lighter and will have longer battery life.
    However, imagine yourself such scenario:
    - You have Core i5 powered "tablet", with pen etc that you can use anywhere.
    - You have a docking station at your home, where you have monitor/tv, keyboard and mouse and you use it for your regular PC non-gaming purposes.
    - You have the same docking station at office and it is you work PC too, running all enterprise Windows apps.
    - Basically you'd have your PC with its system and data wherever you go, capable of running both tablet and desktop apps, even Linux on virtual machine.

If you think about it as an iPad or Android-powered tablet, it's nothing fancy; however if it's going to be a more portable laptop variant, then it's awesome, but it'll need a dock or a few of them. In such case, the price is justified.

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    this is not another tablet guys, think about it like a "ultrabook" in tablet form factor, there is a i5/4gb ram, SSD AND a 1080p screen, 899$ is a modest price

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Tablets - The solution to a problem which doesn't exist yet. Yours in 128GB Mico$haft flavour for only $1000 before taxes.
    [​IMG]

9. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    The battery life is horrible and no keyboard included ! Sorry microsoft I was considering this but it's a total failure to me.

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    For this price I'd rather have a nice laptop with all the real capabilities for work or play and non of the inconveniences of a tablet format. The only real use (imo) of a tablet is to dink around on the Subway/Metro - and you can buy a $300 tablet to do that. :?

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    This^

I'd rather blow that much on a pretty darn nice PC.

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    can see myself picking up something like this if i had extra money to blow. would function like a laptop when i need it to and a tablet when i don't. the price is kinda ridiculous though, esp with such limited HD space.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Aren't these Windows RT based products (not to be confused with the Windows updates that are names Windows8-RT-KB(num)-x(64/86))? In which case, they aren't Ultrabooks because you can run normal Windows apps on an ultrabook.

You can get a reasonable laptop for that price.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Such an unreasonable price.
    They are trying to be Apple.

I hope it fails so some form of price normalising happens.
    Then, it might actually take some sales away from their competitors.

15. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Is this tablet any better than a netbook or laptop you could buy for $300, 1/3 of the price? Also, it's a rectangular device with rounded corners. Apple may want some money.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    only 4 hour battery life?? lmao
    I'm still fairly happy with my first gen Ipad. was really considering the original Surface but not reading the best reviews of it and not sure how 16:9 ratio will work in portrait mode trying to read an ebook or e-mags. I much prefer portrait mode on ipad when it comes to reading.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    4 hour battery life lol. The only thing it's powering is Micro$haft CEO wallets with all the money they saved by using dog crap for batteries.

Seriously, $900-$1000 pre tax and they didn't include a reasonable battery, sounds legit.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You realize that the battery is actually larger than most tablet batteries right? And the reason why the life is bad is due to the i5 processor and not the battery? Also why are all your posts always so negative? Your from Canada you should be happy! =)

But yeah this tablet looks bad, Nexus 10 is looking like a better buy every day.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol, I'd rather buy a laptop than their frankenstein laptop-tablet hybrid.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    There's nothing positive to say about Micro$haft these days. Everything they're doing appears to be a global scale troll job and they constantly remind me of Apple. For the price they could have easily provided a much more powerful battery.

If you were in Canada right now you wouldn't be happy. There's about 6.5 hours of sunlight a day and it will soon reach -40C during the day. It's a toasty warm 0C right now. As a bonus when it's sunny the UV is enough to give you cancer with relatively little exposure and the albedo is enough to hurt your eyes through sunglasses. That and I'm pretty sure our government is completely corrupt and stealing our tax money.