HD 6970 low performance in Crysis Warhead?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by poenanie, Jan 5, 2011.

1. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    Hi lads,

Yesterday I plugged a brandnew HD 6950 from Sapphire into my system (together with a new PSU and a HDD). I immediatly flashed the beast to a 6970 obviously.

Now I'm getting some fps results with crysis warhead but I honestly expected these to be a bit better because the game still feels quite laggy at certain points ...

When checking things out with fraps in the first level of crysis warhead I get FPS numbers going from 17 (lowest number I've seen) to 41 (highest number I've seen). Needless to say, anytime the fps drop well below 30 the game doesn't feel "great" anymore.

I'm running crysis warhead in 1680 x 1050 with enthusiast settings, and no AA enabled.

This is my complete setup:

Q6600 clocked at 3,4Ghz
    HD 6950 flashed and clocked at 6970
    8800GTX as dedicated physx card
    4gb memory
    Gigabyte P35 DS4 mobo
    Corsair TX750 psu

I've got the latest drivers I could find wich according to Catalyst are 8.801-101125.

This is my first AMD card so I don't know if I might be overlooking something here (some kind of setting maybe?) but I rlly expected some better performance in Crysis Warhead at this resolution!

Thx a lot for any help ..

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  3. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Dunno, but Crysis with max settings+8xAA on my CF rig runs incredible, I never dip below 45fps and it's just amazing. One thing I figured though is when you run the 64bit exe triple buffering doesn't work anymore when vsync is activated. So turn off vsync or start the 32bit exe and force triple buffering with d3doverrider or readeon pro.

4. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    Turns out I'm allready running 10.12

I've just noticed that when I'm looking at the ocean in Crysis and I can only see the ocean and nothing else I can top 70fps, yet when I turn around and have a good overview of the island I get about 22fps.

Overall during gameplay the average fps seems to be somewhere around 30fps.

I'm going to look into Radeon Pro right now, thx for the hint.
    Crysis Warhead is being played out of steam so I'm pretty sure I'm allready running the 32bit version but I'll check out what I can do with Radeon Pro first.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

5. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    Allright, just checked it out.

I'm running the 32bit version of Crysis Warhead and I forced triple buffering on in the global settings in Radeon Pro, FPS rates are still the same.

What FPS should I actually be expecting with my setup? I'm just kind of worries this is as good as it's going to get (wich isn't all that impressive when I compare it to my 4 year old 8800GTX ...).

Edit:

Btw, are these temps normal for this card, they're being recorded running idle ...

[​IMG]

6. mAX26

mAX26 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 5850
    81@ idle??

That's way too much.

You should RMA that card asap.

7. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    Woops I think GPU-Z is giving an incorrect reading, Catalyst tells me it's running at 53° idle.
    Any other software I can check those temps with?

Edit: Actually after a reboot GPU-Z is now also giving me the 53°, weird.
    I'm gonna try to up the core and mem of this card a little and see what it gives then. Is it safe to just up both using ATI Overdrive? I've never used it and I'm not sure if there's some kind of failsafe involved here that'll reset the settings if you go up 2 high or something.

8. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

upgrade to I5 or I7 your cpu hold you back

9. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    Do you honestly think so? It's running at 3,4Ghz so I'd be very surprised if it's bottlenecking a single card ...

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    totally offtopic, but i love your nick poenanie hehe :)

11. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Hi, you should be getting better performance.
    See my score with HD6870 and Catalyst 10.10 (newer drivers give 1-2 fps boost)
    [​IMG]

Your CPU *MIGHT* be holding you back. Crysis can't use quads properly, mostly it uses two cores and relies more on fast per core performance.
    You might want to check it by down clocking to CPU and seeing if you get different FPS.

Also what Vantage/3Dmark 11 graphics score you get?

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Don't know what frames im getting in it (as never really checked, only tried it so far to see how it runs, as going through Crysis first), but its flying for me at that res maxed out (no AA), its getting ripped a new one, and as said above, get the latest 10.12a hotfixes (the Rc3's 8.79.6.2's), as even though those 10.12 officials (8.801's) support the 6900's, they don't have anything in them for them, they just have the cards ID's added, so that they can be installed on them, so are worthless for the 6900's really, its those hotfixes you want, as they are the latest ones :)

EDIT: I can't see it being the CPU, a quad at 3.4ghz should be fine id have thought.

EDIT2: Just had a thought, a P35 mobo, doesn't that drop down the PCI-E lane speeds when 2x cards are used ?, so may not be running at the full 16x with the 8800 in there as well, so id remove it, as its not really worth having in there tbh, as PhysX is hardly used.

13. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    That's an interesting theory, I installed the .12a hotfix and that actually raised my max fps a bit, but the lows are still the same.

I'll try it without the 8800GTX this evening, I've tried to use it with Mirrors Edge but it's still giving **** performance anyway ..

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not as many fps as he reports.

Are you using the latest CAP too?
    You could try Von Dach's CAP switcher: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=332395

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I think the second slot on those boards only runs at 4x, so more than likely the 8800 is being crippled at that, just can't remember if that also means that the 16x Primary slot (Blue), also drops down when another card is in the second slot, GPU-Z should tell you that though with your gfx card specs, as im sure it tells you what speed its running at on there as well :)

16. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    try to use AA 8x or 16x and see if you get lower fps, if you dont then it's a cpu bottleneck

17. poenanie

poenanie Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 @ 6970
    [​IMG]

So I guess it's actually running at 16x then.
    And about the 8800GTX yeah that's a 4x slot indeed, but I didn't expect to actually still get like 8fps when things go bad in Mirrors Edge, but then again that game seems to be a real horrific physx experience, dirt2 on the other hand seems to be fine.

FPS actually seems to be the same, tested in 1 spot, got 41 fps at 0 x AA and got 40 at 8 x AA.

That's kinda annoying though, I don't have a budget to upgrade my mobo and proc atm, nor do I want to for this 1 game. I really expected a 3,4Ghz quadcore to be sufficient.

Could memory perhaps also be an issue? I'm running 4gb 800Mhz (yeah, memory was expensive 4 years ago). I didn't expect this to be causing any slowdowns but now I just don't know ...

I take it most other games will be fine though, I'll be testing Bad Company 2 this evening or tomorrow.

18. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    I haven't tried Crysis yet so can't advise on that; but I HAVE tried Mirror's Edge.

Don't have PhysX enabled in Mirror's Edge or any game for that matter. You will get horrible peformance.
    This game doesn't have my card's ID's in it's config files, so it won't have yours either. With a bit of Voodoo, you can edit these files and put your card's ID in there. Though I'm not sure if it is making any difference.

Also, make sure MBoard Drivers are installed and the latest DirectX.

19. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    doubt it makes much difference, but noticed your pci-e isn't showing as version 2.0

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ahh yeah now i remember, was only the second slot running at 4x on those boards, just made them not much good for Xfire, to answer above, its not a PCI-E 2 board, the P35's were only 1.0, or 1.1 (can't remember now), but that shouldn't make a difference, as PCI-E 2.0 cards work fine in them.