SUPPLY and PROCESSOR upgrade on a SlimCase

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by CONRACK, Mar 12, 2012.

1. CONRACK

CONRACK Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
    hello people, ok so i have a doubt... many i mean. this was my computer http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01009023&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_ca/c01009023/loc:3&cc=ca&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3423017 after a time i upgraded it with a 9400gt(1gb) gpu (the best you can find for this kind of case: low profile), then added 1 more gb of ram (2gb) that's all ive changed of my computer and i want to upgrade my processor from e4300(1.80ghz) to e6700(2.66ghz) and these are my doubts:
    1. is it worth? note that the bios is totally locked, and i know nothing of soldering (in case you want me to apply the bsel/vid OC)
    2. IF it's worth... is it safe? i ask this cuz i've seen in other posts that i need a power supply of 500w or something and mine is 160w but the link up there says it's "safe" (processor upgrade info)
    3. if it's not... how must i ask for power supplies around? (does my slim case affects the kind/size of the p.s or something like with the gpu? which had to be low profile?)
    that's all i want to know it may be a lot but i didn't wanted to leave anything unasked cuz when it's about hardware i get extremely cautious because i am kind of what you can call... POOR. thanks for the help

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Might be easier to throw together a PC from second hand parts from eBay my friend. The E6750 is a pretty fine CPU, but if the BIOS is locked, the chances are you won't be able to use it, mainly due to the E4300 being an 800 MHz FSB chip, whereas the E6750 is a 1333 MHz FSB chip. Try hunting down a reasonable P35 board off eBay, your current RAM might be salvageable, though second hand DDR2 ain't too expensive, get a better case (again, cheap on ebay), better PSU, as 160W just ain't gunna cut it.

Hoop that helps.

3. CONRACK

CONRACK Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
    well that fsb thinguie i didn't know... juast another doubt IF i manage to unlock it (dunno if updating it) can this still be done? or the poor PSU is still a problem?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Core 2 Duo E4300, E6700 and E6750 are all 65watt processors. The PSU won't be an issue, however, the bios itself may be. According to HP though, the E6750 is not supported. An issue you might run into is the fact that Intel has released newer processors under the "E6700" label. So, you need to specifically look for "Core 2 Duo E6700" as there's also a "Pentium E6700" which is a cache reduced Core 2 Duo E7600.

5. CONRACK

CONRACK Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
    OMG 5 months (exactly) later... thxz for that sykozys that gave me hope again, yes the one i want is the core2 duo e6700, ive seen it in stores i think i might try that one any time soon... as possble