Graphics Card Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pzykotik, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Hey,

A friend of mine has just bought a new Dell. It's a decent enough machine, i5-4460, 8GB 1600Mhz ram... The thing only has a 300W PSU though!

It comes with an NVidia GT 705 graphics card, which as far as I can tell is pants.

I know there are graphics cards that don't need additional power (the 750 comes to mind), but I don't know if that would be a good upgrade or what...

Can anybody make a recommendation? NVidia or AMD, I don't care which... It just needs to be as good as it can be!

Thanks!

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Personally Id tell him to return it and build a custom machine

iirc upgrading Dells is a pita, I have a vague memory that the PSUs have weird connectors on them too for the board, so upgrading the PSU might not be easy either

Could be remembering wrongly, but I can remember something irritating like that

3. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Returning it isn't an option. This guy has a very limited budget, and got this machine for £276.75 all inc.

He is just going to use it as a basic home machine. Browsing the net and such like, he knows it's not great but he's not particularly interested.

I wanted to be able to upgrade the graphics card for him as I know what a hard time he's going through at the moment.

4. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

5. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Nice, thanks. I haven't a clue what the PSU rating is, but that will be perfect.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    At one time, yes. Not in the last decade though.

That card is complete garbage. He'd be better off with the integrated Intel graphics. The GT705 is an "OEM only" card built using a low-end mobile graphics chip. It's not even supported by NVidia at last check.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Never owned a Dell, just worked on them in a repair shop a few years back, so could have been any age

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Last one I did was a 2004 Dell Dimension 2400 (the same model Dell got sued over excessive PSU failures for). Had to replace the PSU in it back in 2005 after it's 13 month old PSU failed. When my sister contacted Dell, she was told by a CS Rep that if she had bought the 2 year warranty, the PSU wouldn't have failed at 13 months. I have no respect for Dell and feel sorry for anyone that's forced to buy from them.....

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Wow, stupidity at its best, was she meant to believe that they put a warranty self-destruct timer on the machines?

I remember something about error LEDs on them too, having to look up different patterns, and if the CMOS battery died, the machine wouldn't even POST