Tip for nVidia users using HDMI and getting accurate color format

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jwb1, Nov 18, 2012.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    EDIT: With driver 347.09+ color range has now been resolved.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80913/en-us

---Original Post---

This is only for nVidia users who are using HDMI on their display.

If you're display supports Full RGB, which most do, you may notice you aren't getting the right colors and the blacks don't seem so black and the whites don't seem so white. This is because despite under Display->Adjust Desktop Color Settings your digital color format being set at RGB, its actually by default set at Limited RGB, not Full. And you will see there is no option for Full RGB. Don't use ycbcr444 as it will oversaturate reds and magentas.

Full RGB is available only under Video->Adjust Video Color Settings, but this doesn't affect your games, applications, etc. Only videos.

The trick to enable Full RGB for everything is a reg hack, and luckily you can use a tool to do instead. Find it here

You must use this tool every time you install a new driver.
    Next, complain to nVidia to let this be a option in future drivers here:
    http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    No offence, but I'll wait to hear some feedback on this before I try it out.

3. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Well I can tell you my feedback: my overall image quality in games is much improved.

If Full RGB doesn't look good or improved, then there is also an option in the tool to go back to Limited RGB.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  4. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Agreed it works just fine, thanks.

I've just moved from ATI to NV and was wondering if my eyes were going with age or something as all my HD content (MKv etc) was less detailed and top white and bottom blacks were just not there. I then found this thread, and then Google it. The reg key hack has been around for sometime, with some writing a C# program to do the same thing, others posting the actual keys. But this little exe seems to work just fine. You see with ATI drivers you have an overall color format drop down and can toggle the various options which work over HDMI as well as DVI.

I'm very surprised its not the same for NV, and cannot understand why they do not include this same option.

One question with this though, does it clean its self and also what will happen when/if NV change the reg key names in future driver releases.

Other than that, this works perfect and I can now see full range RGB once again over HDMI using Zoomplayer 8.5 + MadVR + Reclock.

5. kingnosser

kingnosser Banned

GPU:
    MSI560tiTFII/OC/1GB
    Noticed the difference as soon as my desktop loaded, the difference it's made to web browsing is nice yet to try it in game, why on earth isn't this built into the drivers in the first place!!!

Awesome try it out guys looking good here :D

6. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    My (rather old) Sony tele only supports limited RGB and the Nvidia driver defaults to full RGB not limited. As a result I have to use ycbcr444 to avoid black crush and it looks a bit crap. I'd love to be able to select limited RGB for desktop programs but Nvidia will never add that despite a lot of complaints over the years.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The last couple of these tools I tried didn't work. This one does and in Win8. Saves me the hassle of editing the nv_disp.inf file and needing to disable driver signing to clean install a driver.

HeavyHemi Recommended.

[​IMG]

8. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
  9. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I found I needed to just run the windows 7 screen calibration tool again for my LG 50" plasma to just gamma correct a little. Rechecked my TV sets Black level and Dynamic contrast. Checked the black and white scale via this popular site checker here
    This will show a smooth gradient if using 0-255 and some banding if 16-235.

Although your TV set's own settings and windows gamma calibration could also affect it slightly. I see a nice smooth black to white gradient, which along with my HD content tests using Zoomplayer + MadVR etc I now know I'm set at full RGB.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Thanks for the heads up.

11. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Wow - massive difference on my Panasonic Viera. Love this forum; thanks for posting! :cheers:

12. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    If you uninstall or reinstall your driver, you will have to re-run this tool again.

13. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    This tool can allow you to pick Limited RGB as well.

I do not recommend ycbcr444 for traditional displays, as it oversatures reds and magentas. And also adds a slight blur, as its a compressed signal format, unlike RGB which is uncompressed.

Glad everyone is happy with it. Like I said, submit your feedback to nVidia to include this option in their future driver releases!

14. vengeancerr1

vengeancerr1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SC @ FTW 2GB SLI
    I know this is about Nvidia drivers but I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the same result for Intel drivers? I use my laptop to watch movies sometimes an it uses the Intel video for playback I think. I have to select the ycbcr mode because the screen is too bright without that checked in the Intel drivers.

15. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Tried setting it to limited RGB and it doesn't work on my display. The only way I can get limited RGB working for desktop programs with this tele is to use an AMD card.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I suggest we make a thread for this over on the Nvidia forums and complain about it until they say they can fix it.

17. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    I have and I also notified two known nVidia employees.

But as I said, spread the word via their feedback system and get your friends to do it as well!

18. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    how do i use this if i have 2 monitors?
    i only need to set my second Monitor(HDTV) to full rgb.
    My first monitor is allready at full. since its an crt.

Also, would that fix my prob im having when using HDMI?

Im at VGA Cable now lol..and teh picture is 1000 times better then with hdmi.
    Its darker, blacks are black, and its sharp..
    with the hdmi cable its all washed out and sooo blurry i cant read anything..

If someone would tell me that this would fix that i would be happy..also how to use it only on my second monitor..

Thanks

19. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Guess this does count with DisplayPort?

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Interesting, bookmarked for future reference .. will give feedback to nvidia soon.