First Unreal Engine 4 Screenshots

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 17, 2012.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Not bad but I don't really see anything that CryEngine 3 or latest Frostbite couldn't.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It looks good, but... it also looks about average for the current era. Unlike when UE3 was shown and was mindblowingly amazing.
    This looks.... on par with some of the other "big" engines out there. It really just looks like UE3 got a nice boost to be able to keep up.

4. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Nice lighting, HDR, bloom and DOF, and blur or some kind of AA filters... does not look like hardware AA to me... So its on PAR now with other engines...

Probably REAL multithreading, multi-gpu and multi-display in there.

Knowing how Epic feels about the PC platform, lets seem some console devs take it for a spin and wait for a PROPER PC developer make a PC centric game for it.

Would be happy to play with a FREE UDK4 package, but not going to be suckered to buy again by a pretty picture and next to crap support from Epic.

5. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    What is it with this ugly glow effect being used recently. Cryengine 3 suffers from this too, aslo Hitman absolution

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Kinda underwhelming. When I first saw UT3 screenshots all those years ago I remember being in awe of the graphics and knew I would have to upgrade my hardware to play it above minimum! Here it's nothing special in terms of first impression. Maybe like UE3 it will be efficient and will run great on most configurations but I hope textures will be better next gen (consoles!!) to complement all the fancy lighting effects.

7. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    2nd and 3rd pictures are seriously amazing. It would be perfect for games cinematic.. Too bad its used so rarely..

8. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I'm certain that for knowing people there are ****loads of new things:nerd:

9. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Did anyone of you guys who say "doesn't look special" actually read the article?
    To me being able to have thousands of particles on screen (UE 3 craps out if you have lots of overlapping translucent particles, which is an example why order independent transparency has been prime research target), plus having everything dynamically lit is pretty damn awesome 8)

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah,it is kinda underwhelming, not seeing much that I’ve not saw in CE3, but without seeing similar looking games running on each engine it’s impossible to compare, but from all the shots above it certainly doesn’t wow me, but screenshots are rarely accurate, modded Crysis1 looks great in pics, but average to poor in motion.

I quite like the glow effect when high contrast light hits things, adds to the realism and should stop games having that clean, sharp and outdated look.

If it’s anything like UE3 this will make it into a lot of games, so we are more likely to see this used than CE3 or FB 2.0 anyway.

12. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    PRESENTING UNREAL ENGINE 4! NOW WITH MORE TEXTURE STREAMING!

Seriously. No matter how good it looks (debatable with these screenshots), unless they fix the mess that is UE texture streaming, I won't be impressed at all...

13. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    You're looking at static pics and type things like that :rolleyes:
    Fyi, Frostbite 2 and Cry Engine 2 and 3 both use texture streaming. I would be surprised if Epic didn't improve it.

14. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    I can see a z-buffer info error in particles DOF (3rd screenshot).

I need my pills.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, I read the article. And I even said it's a nice update from UE3. But, when compared to some of the other engines on the market... it's not as impressive as the UE3 was when it was revealed to the public.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I mean, they are getting pretty close to what real life looks like essentially. There is going to be diminishing returns on how much advances and performance increases are going to impact the realism of a scene. To me the amount of detail looks pretty impressive in those shots. I want to see the video they came from.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Exactly. Technical stuff doesn't mean anything if the end result doesn't blow away the competing engines. Look at id's Rage, all fancy stuff but look at how so many bashed it.

18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    From my impressions, most bashing against Rage's visuals seem to be from the PC users, whereas many console users thought it had wonderful graphics

I guess we will simply have to wait with judgements until we have seen UE4 in motion

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Most of the bashing on idTech5 came from the issues with AMD drivers and OpenGL. Which isn't entirely on id or the engine. AMD (ATi) drivers have always had issues with OpenGL and as such, support has always been hit or miss.

Also, a lot of the bashing as for the fact that if you press your face up against the walls... the textures aren't overly detailed. Which is true, but RAGE also looks amazing in large open scenes.

Now, id Software has never been known for "amazingly" detailed texture work. And really, their environmental texture work has always been a bit meh IMO. They do amazing things with character animation, player movement and weapon feedback... and they can craft gorgeous looking games.
    So long as you don't try and dig into them and look at the tiny details.

20. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Modded skyrim with enb looks the same or almost the same as this. Doesn't impress me much..But new engine always welcome :) especially performance friendly :)