Reformatting - Windows Vista™

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Leftfield, May 1, 2011.

1. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    Hey guys,

I have had my PC for about 14 months now and I have not done a reinstall/reformat. I regularly use Ccleaner, avg, spybot and defrag every couple of months and make sure my graphics drivers amongst other tools are updated. I don't feel my system is slow, but occasionally when playing games ( mainly world of warcraft) my pc will lock for about 3/4 seconds then continue as normal. This happens once or twice an hour maybe.

I have Windows Vista™ Home Prem 64 Bit and I was wondering whether its worth me backing up my data and doing a complete reinstall back to square one, I often read a lot of people don't bother with vista so was looking to take any input, is it worth doing a reinstall - is that likely to help with my freezing problem?

Thanks in advance

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You can try, I usually reinstall Windows every year or so regardless if the system really needs it or not to ensure Windows is fresh because I find that Windows bogs down pretty easily. Can't say the same for MacOS X and Linux though (same installation for years, no problems).

deltatux

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Vista and Windows 7 run great even years later. I had the same install of Vista x64 since it was released on MSDN till Windows 7 was released. I also would have had the same Windows 7 install running but I deleted need files for the SP1 update so I had no choice but to reinstall.

To the OP system pauses are usually something to do with hardware, drive sleeping and waking or anything hardware related, a reinstall may fix your problem but don't be surprised if it does not.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Windows Vista and 7 both bog down as usual, so nothing has really changed here. As long as Microsoft adds more bloat to their OS, it will perform worse than their UNIX counterparts.

Most Windows users only compare operating systems to the previous versions of Windows. True that Windows 7 is better than Vista and XP but still pales in comparison on boot times and system responsiveness I see on MacOS X and some Linux distributions.

deltatux

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I use them all, you spouting complete BS.

Edit: And when I run various version of Linux its all command shell for me, rarely touch the GUI.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I run GUI and CLI on Linux ... with KDE, boot up times are much better than Windows, even Google Chrome runs a lot faster on Linux than its Windows counterparts. I use Linux daily at school, same with my Macbook.

I actually use Windows, MacOS X, Linux and FreeBSD daily ;).

EDIT: Out of all the operating systems Windows Vista and later are memory hogs. If I only used Linux, I'd probably don't need 8 GB of RAM at all to run my VMs for school work either.

deltatux

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Although most windows OSs bog down after a while, people who keep them clean dont do that at all. Mine doesnt anyways. Although i do like to reinstall windows every year or so too. Also, OSX doesnt bog down at all, my macbook air is the same speed as it was when i did a fresh install.

8. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    Thanks for the response, this has also been on my mind. I mean its not unbearable, just a little frustrating when it happens in a important gaming moment. When I do a burn test it always shows good results because it doesnt freeze when I do it. Its really hard to put my finger on.