NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 launches -- sorta

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

In what has to be the most weird product release ever in the history of NVIDIA they introduce the GeForce GTX 690. There are no cards send to press yet NVIDIA did launch the card through their website....

More...

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Really liking the reference design on this card.

Nice, looking forward to the review.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I wonder why they don't go with such a cooler design for single GPUs aswell. It's much more quiet than the radial fans.

And a shame it's only 2GB per GPU.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    $1K for a video card is too much and I personally don't ever want to go through the hassle of using two GPUs at once unless I have no other choice. At 1080p I'll stick with single cards, when I switch to 1440p I guess I won't have much of a choice.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It will drop in a couple of weeks.

The GTX 680 4GB Models went for 724 Euro and now they are sold for 550 Euro.

Just give it some time and practise your patience, it will pay off in the end.

6. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    you do not need more than 2gb it's a shame...no differences on all games with 4gb versions...it's a marketing fail thing...speed it's the key...nuff said...:3eyes:

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm not upgrading anytime soon anyway, I'm still okay on this 6970. I might keep it for a long time and just use double vsync to play games at 30fps... that way I might be able to tolerate PS3 games and finish all the ones I never did.

Seriously, going from 60fps to 30 rapidly (switching from a PC game to console) is incredibly annoying, going from 120fps (Blades of Time PC) to 30fps is absolutely intolerable.
    ...... That's not true, I've had the memory capacity on this card pushed to it's limits already. Having 3GB per GPU these days is actually useful.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I guess you havn't yet modded Skyrim to it's limits :)

More than 2,6GB VRam on a single Screen 1080P.

9. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    999usd? HAHAHA!

10. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    exceeding vram expectations doesn't mean it will not play smooth...i've seen cards with 3gb and 4gb stutter in specific games...

if we take this as a standard...anyone who buys 680s and 690, hd7870s, hd7850s is not future proof and he is an idiot that he will never max out future games............................................................................................

and who ever buys 7970/7950/gtx680 4gb will max out everything for the next 2 years...:3eyes:...i don't cut my fingers for verifying that............................

the gtx680 4gb is still slower at huge resolutions than 7970 3gb..hail to 1gb plus

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's not only Stuttering, but also a chance of having bugged textures due running out of VRam.

And i didn't call anyone an idiot did i? Don't make it so dramatic. It's like you prevent people from buying a 4GB Card.

I made the mistake of buying a 1.5GB Card and thought i was Future Proof, and i clearly arn't.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    2gb and 256bit, is there really any point?

Nice looking card though and that sli bridge is awesome. But I'd rather go GTX680 Sli.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    For an added value of 3-5% more performance, +70W, and +5dB.

Yeah sure, that makes 680 SLI a nobrainer :rolleyes:

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cheaper though.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    All depends on the price, if it's similar to 2x680 then i would rather buy 2 680's, mostly due to financial reasons as i would have the option of selling one of them if i decided SLI isn't for me, or i just need the money.

The 690 does sound a fantastic card though, super fast, efficient and likely quite quiet and cool, and the frame-rate metering feature sounds like it could be a great addition, the only thing missing compared to AMD is the card being able to turn off one GPU when it's not being used, that is quite attractive to anyone who plays some older games, or wants to use the card for some HTPC features, though you could argue this isn't the card for either of those things.

16. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Really liking the look of that, sexy.

17. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    This is the best looking dual GPU card to date on the Nvidia side. The price is quite high, but as some ppl have already mentioned it will drop in the upcoming weeks. So i would say 850-900 bucks is quite a likely price range. As far as i'm concerned, my 680 is more than enough to run everything i throw at it. On the other hand the new 670 info is looking quite good. I don't think it will be that much slower than the 680. I recon around the performance of the 580 or just a bit above it in some titles is quite a possibility.
    The only thing i'm surprised about is that nvidia is releasing their dual GPU card before AMD, which i thought will be other way around. Anyway, go go nvidia.

18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    DEFO 2 X 680S FTW BUT THE 690 AT THE SHOW DID LOOK GOOD
    sry bout the caps

19. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    After reading the article, the "Thread Title" should be - Nvidia are trolling, again lol.

20. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    I like the card myself.

Also, that SLI connector...:banana: