G3D Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by John, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
  2. ellisbodds

ellisbodds Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 460 1GB (OC'd)
    As someone else said, it's always a good idea to use manual and quick saves whenever is a good time. Personally, if I'm headed into a dungeon or whatever, I'll do a manual save beforehand, use quick saves all the way through whilst I'm exploring inside, and then do another manual save once I've come out and sold all my loot. :D

Werewolfs:
    There aren't too many disadvantages of becoming a werewolf. You only have to use it when you want to, and the only disadvantage that stays with you permanently is that you can no longer gain the bonuses from sleeping. When you're in "beast form" you have a weakness to silver weapons but I don't think it's very high. But you get a permanent 100% resistance to diseases and a powerful form to switch into when you want. :)
    Wow, you must've done a lot of exploring. I'm about 28-30 hours in and I'm level 27, I got the achievement for discovering 100 locations, and I've killed about 15 dragons. But the beauty of Elder Scrolls games is that everyone plays them differently, and as such no two characters end up being the same.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Loot is a big problem in this game early on even with an NPC fighting along side you. If you don't already have one then I suggest always having an NPC with you as they come in handy as a second backpack!!! I'd highly recommend Lydia who you get from completing the main Dragonreach quest. She's awesome and uses any weapons/armour you give her. She has become quite adept at spell-casting now reviving dead enemies to fight against foes and conjuring up wolf spectres. She'll even pipe up when you discover hidden caves ("I wonder what's in there?").

I think the NPCs really add an extra dimension to the game myself even if the commands you can give them are fairly basic. At one point I forgot that I'd told Lydia to wait and had to backtrack through half a dungeon to fetch her! Her pathfinding and A.I. is generally very good for this sort of thing but she does have a tendency to block doorways at times, though she does eventually move if you wait long enough, usually uttering an "owwww" as you rudely brush past her!!! :p

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    And this is probably a rather obvious tip for TES veterans but *always* make sure you have at least one silver weapon as they are the one sure thing that can hurt undead/ghost enemies. I'm saying this because I very nearly made the mistake of selling mine.

Also, am I the only one was has great difficulty dropping or losing loot when you (and your NPC) cannot carry anything else? I find so much good stuff that it is a pain to have to lose it. Mind you, I still haven't bought a house although I now have over 6,000 Septims so I may buy the one in Winterun that is 5,000 (or does anyone know of a cheaper one)?

I've also yet to enchant a single weapon (where do you get the actual enchantments from?).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I'm happy to say this game is way more difficult than Oblivion ever was. It feels a bit more like a Morrowind/Gothic hybrid + huge gameplay enhancements and deadly reflex.

Just got my ass handed to me in some cave by some dude (who I won't name because of spoilers). I have to get back later, because he is too strong. He killed Lydia! :(

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've noticed that NPCs such as Lydia, who I've been using for most of the game, can sometimes appear to be killed but as soon as you kill the last enemy in the area then she gets up again. A few times though she has actually died permanently. It seems to be very random this, perhaps a bug?

I like that you can have two NPCs fighting alongside you at times when the quest requires a specific person accompany you but you already have your own NPC. Makes for some epic battles or you can just sit back and let your team do the work for you (sometimes advisable as they don't take too kindly to "friendly fire"!).

And, yes, the difficulty is great. I'm playing on Adept although I did drop down to the one below that for a few hours near the start when I was finding it too hard. I'm dying a fair few times but usually I can get past it on a second or third attempt so I'm sticking with Adept as it feels overall the most balanced in terms of challenge. I still cannot kill those damn giants though and once a dragon got close enough to grab me with its mouth (oh, those dragon encounters are just so amazing...) and killed me instantly. It's often tough but it feels fair with it. If it was too easy then the game could get boring.

7. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    After she went down the first time, she kneeled and the enemy began focussing on me, until she recovered. When she went down the second time, it was final.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, that's right she kneels and seems to recover from that stance once the fight is over but if she goes down to the ground then it's for good. I guess the enemies turned their attentions to me at the kneeling down part and that's why she has rarely died. I think she has died twice but, fortunately, I do so many saves that it is no problem to reload the last one and do the fights again. Hell, you can even Quicksave during fights which is handy if you get to safe spot and heal slightly as dying means there's less to retread.

I actually found the Quicksave useful for one of the Sneak quests I had to do which involved stealing a ring from a trader and planting it on an unsuspecting target while they were being distracted. It took me about five attempts to do this but the Quicksave allowed me to try different tactics without getting frustrated at having to do everything all over again. Perhaps that is cheating in some sense but I can live with that! :)

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Is there anyway to have sex in this game ? my main character is a cute female reptile.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    PC elitists will ignore this anyway but I have to strongly recommend the use of a controller for this game, simply because the use of vibration is exemplary. Not only does can you feel the ground shake when a dragon appears, adding immensely to its sense of power, but combat feels so much more tangible when can sense every hit. It also makes the superb much-improved-over-Oblivion lockpicking mini-game an absolute doddle to do when you can feel the subtlety of the vibrations (I haven't broken a lockpick in ages for example). The two analogue sticks also double up well for the two pins you're using to break the lock as well.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sorry but I have to ask why anyone would want to have sex in a videogame? :3eyes:

I'm sure the people do have sex (there are children now for example) but it's something that is best left to the imagination and done in private, much like the real thing IMO! ;)

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Oh, and this is the last post for now as I could about this game all day to be honest, but I've seen the transparency glitch on faces a few times now. First on the faces of two of the Khajiits outside Winterun and also on one of the monster-like enemies (I forget which is was now but I could see it when it was shown on one of the loading screens as you can rotate the 3D models with the controller in realtime).

Is this a bug with NVIDIA's 285.79 beta drivers, does anyone know?

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Adopt difficulty is dynamic? I keep dieing in a tight 3 vs 1 combat. Goddamn.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Would be funny to see a lizzard have sex with a lion or something like that. witcher2 and dragons age 2 had sex scenes.
    they could even make a game out of it like hot coffeemod used to be lol (or how God of war 3 has in the game).
    sound kind of strange everyone wants to see blood all over the place, heads and limbs flying around, and sex is forbidden.

15. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    +1 for this...
    If only my wife will let me play on my 46" LED T____T
    Got to install my second TV in main bedroom once my apartment renovation completed this week :banana:

16. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Lydia is unkillable i think. Saw her drifting upside down in the water after she was 'killed', then got into the same cave again after healing up, and there she was again in all her glory, ready to strike again.

:D I really like her

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The sex scenes in both of those games was embarassing though IMO.

I think the depiction of relationships is fine in videogames but the actual sex should be left firmly behind closed doors, perhaps only hinted at. I personally do not want to watch sex scenes in any videogame as it adds nothing at all to the experience. I don't even like sex scenes in movies either for that matter as they are unnecessary beyond showing two people getting a little intimate then... quickly cut to something else please! ;)

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    She is awesome.

It's a shame there is no character development though beyond the initial questions you can ask her. She utters the odd phrase such as "I have a bad feeling about this" on entering a dungeon and tells you when you've found a cave but that's it. Would have been nice to have had a bit of banter but then your own character isn't voiced anyway (why not?) so it's a moot point I suppose.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think that the game would be better if the character actually spoke instead of remaining a mute? After games like Mass Effect 2 Skyrim's dialogue seems terribly quaint and even the cutscenes lack that game's dynamic camera angles (though thankfully background characters no longer freeze in place upon initiating a conversion!).

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You have to break down enchanted items first, I think you can do it whenever you feel like it from your inventory. Then you'll gain the ability to enchant stuff with the enchantment you get.

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    You probably killed her by accidentally taking her last bit of energy. I found that as long as I let her be there on the ground with little energy she always survives (I'm at level 31, so I've played a bit)

But there are better followers out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.