Getting very low scores with my 3870 - HELP!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by safmster, Nov 3, 2008.

1. safmster

safmster Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 6850 OC Edition
    Hi guys,

This is my basic system setup:
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
    - Powercolour ATI Radeon HD 3870 XT Extreme 512mb GDDR4 (Overclocked by Powercolour to 2.34 ghz memory clock speed)
    - 2gb DDR2 Memory (800mhz)

I ran 3dmark06 and I am getting only 5589 marks:
    - SM2.0 Score: 3101
    - HDR/SM3.0 Score: 3659
    - CPU Score: 766

Looking around I know that the scores above and definitely low.

A possible reason for the extremely low score for my CPU is that it's overheating - running at 75 degrees constantly. I have purchased a cooler for it (Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme) which should be coming soon.

Nevertheless, my SM2.0 and HDR/SM3.0 scores are low aswell as you can see...

Can you give me any help/advice on why it's low and how to make it higher as it should be?!

Thanks in advance!

2. Æther Tech

Æther Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 9600GT(OC:750/2k/2k
    Your OC miht be unstable or your psu might be faulty and not delivering enough power to the card. Your CPU might be high temped, but does it crash?

That or its just a fualty card, what fps do you get in games.

3. safmster

safmster Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 6850 OC Edition
    Thanks for replying.

My CPU doesn't really crash and I don't really know what fps I get in games...

I highly doubt my GPU is faulty.

Are they any other reasons of why I'm getting a low score? I think the main one is the high CPU temp.

Just in case you're wondering, my CPU temps are high because one of the pushpins on the stock cooler is loose... and every time I try to push it back in place it doesn't go in! I'm afraid of putting too much pressure on it as it might damage the motherboard.

Do you think after I get my new cooler my 3dmark score should rise? If so, can you give me an estimate score?

4. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Intels CPU's slow down and protect themselves after a certain temp is reached... probably 65 or 69, maybe 74 or something... you could look it up.

Not the same CPU as yours by a long margin, but when I put mine in the 3.6/3.8 range for fun it was compressing MPEG2 at fast rate but then something kicked in after 30 seconds and slowed it down to the 3.2 performance anyway. DVDShrink is a good way to test your CPU ;oP... just look at the rate after a cold boot and see if it drops... and also DVDShrink will crash if there is a CPU error.

You could also see if the Northbridge is hot.

To test the GPU, just run FUR... you should get the same results as anyone else with a 38xx at the same core clock.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008

5. safmster

safmster Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 6850 OC Edition
    FUR? What's that?

6. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
  7. safmster

safmster Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 6850 OC Edition
    [/QUOTE] To test the GPU, just run FUR... you should get the same results as anyone else with a 38xx at the same core clock. [/QUOTE]

Hi, you said the above in a previous post... can you tell me what results everyone else gets with a 38xx?

Thanks.

8. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    What resolution? Just google till you find it, maybe a google image search. ;oP