Youtube or similar lacking on P3 500 Mhz

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by M1ckY, Dec 29, 2007.

1. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    Hello,

I have an old notebook that I use for writing or browsing the internet. Now I wanted to watch some youtube video and got a slideshow with 4-5 fps. Is this Pentium 3 500 Mhz too slow? But live streams (from eurosport.de for example) work great.

Here are the specs of the notebook:

Model: IBM Thinkpad 570e
    Proc: Pentium 3 500 Mhz
    Chipset: Intel 440BX
    RAM: 192 MB
    FSB: 100 Mhz
    Video: NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV (AGP, 2.5 MB SGRAM)

Well, I think that's all that's important.

Ehm, I'm not sure if I hit the right forum section, if not please accept my apology.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Have you tried reinstalling the Flash plugin?

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    My l400 (dell) has alomost the same spec, except for 128mb ram and windows xp on it and flash plays fine. Possibly due to linux compatability issues? Im not sure if it is but im not real linux techy.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Only linux issues with flash are under X64 configs adobe still never released a X64 FLash Plugin.

Micky, when you first installed did you select GNU Flash Plugin, or the Adobe one? I'd try installing the opposite of which you installed. One is Gnash the other you can just get from the Adobe Site.

I personally use opera on my install, I find it much faster under linux then firefox.

5. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    Sorry for not answering some time. I was away a few days.

I now reinstalled flash player but it doesn't work. And I once tried the gnash flash player but it had some major issues on diverse sites. I'll try it once more but I have few hope.

I just had the idea to search for the adobe flash system requirements and found out that on windows it needs 450 Mhz and 128 MB of RAM but on Linux it needs 800 Mhz and 512 MB of RAM. If you ask me they give a **** for linux users and make something that plays flash but is unoptimized and slow. Very sad, maybe gnash works after all.

Anyway thank you all very much!

Edit: So I now installed gnash and it's better. Not really smooth but very watchable. But I allready found some problems with the plugin as newer flash code (parts of flash 8 and flash 9) is not working properly. But I'll use gnash now, it's still better than this slideshow I had.

Thanks again, especially for the idea with gnash.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008