Guru3D's Nostalgic Hardware Club

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Here's an idea.

I'm going to make an exception to the 'no hardware' in the pub rule.

Let's all show each other your most precious or sentimental piece of hardware from the past .. that you preferably still have.

[​IMG]

My very first 'computer' the Sinclair ZX Spectrum with a whopping 48KB of RAM. It could do 8 colors with two tones each (normal and bright). The monitor resolution was 256 x 192 ... hehe.

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I had an Amstrad 464 as my first PC (as in actually mine), when I was like 5 years old in 1994. I had airwolf on casette tape. However I leant it to family and a few years later they binned it.

The oldest thing I still have that works (ignoring cameras and random junk) is my N64 which is in it's original box in my wardrobe.

[​IMG]

3. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    My very first computer was a VIC20:
    [​IMG]
    I remember that grey box like it was yesterday even if I was a bit young at that time :)

Then I had an MSX (the same version as in that picture):
    [​IMG]
    With the exact same joystick as the one in your picture Hilbert.

I remember playing 'La Geste d'Artillac' game (Infogrames).
    It was taking ages to load with tape media and taking less than 3 minutes to die because you took the wrong decision, therefore you had to reload the entire game :)

I have to look at my parent place if they still have them somewhere...

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. Pilgrim1942

Pilgrim1942 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Still have my Speccy 48K.
    Those were the days when coders could produce elegant code, unlike the Windoze code produced by the employees of Micro$haft! ;)

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have a 2004 Abit AN7 -the king of nF2 motherboards, most noted for the Nvidia SoundStorm onboard DDL encoder.....never really had the heart to sell it.
    It's semi-retired now, combined with an Athlon XP 2800+ and 9600XT my parents are using it for light duty/net surfing....the NB fan has been replaced with a Zalman heatsink.

[​IMG][​IMG]

:)

6. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    This was my first;

Sega Master System

[​IMG]
    Screen res; 256×192
    Boot ROM: 64 kbit (8 KB) to 2048 kbit (256 KB), depending on built-in game
    Main RAM: 64 kbit (8 KB), can be supplemented by game cartridges
    Video RAM: 128 kbit (16 KB)

I was obsessed with this game -

Sagaia (aka Darius II)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Damnn, good times!

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Isn't this thread meant to be about hardware people still own?

Oh btw Hilbert I was at McDonald's last night and there was a family at the table beside me speaking in forein language.
    We got talking and turned out they were from The Netherlands...(the daughter was very cute I mist say ;))...

Just some random info...

8. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    ^I still have the game cartridge, but not the console. :(

9. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Yes. Only pictures with todays date and Guru3d from now on :banana:

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    My favorite of all time is ............ The Commodore 64

[​IMG]

I think i might still have it stored at my parents (if they didnt throw it away that is :p )

it was a beast at the time, playing great games, even program on it yourself. i remember coding intro's which i placed before games myself. i was even in a release group called 'Paradize' at the time lol
    It also had a great sound chip , which had a unmatched sound.
    [​IMG]

11. ibitato

ibitato Guest

my first 2 computers.

Epson QX10
    CPM 80 operating system
    my firsts programs with basic and DBASE II
    [​IMG]

Commmodore VIC 20
    LOL, that was a p of crap system , LOL
    [​IMG]

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
  13. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    while i did have an atari, and an NES when it was new, i am going to put up the console that cemented gaming for me forever.

[​IMG]

when you follow that with this

[​IMG]

you are a gamer for life

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm at work so I don't have pics at the moment. But I went the opposite way that Strikerx80 did.

I did have an Atari and NES but I moved to the Sega Genesis, -> Sega Saturn -> Sega Dreamcast. I eventually did own a SNES and Playstation but didn't have many games for them.

15. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I really don't know what I still have as anything over 20years old is in my parents house and I'm not about to go dig for stuff. I'd say off the top of my head there is a Atari 2600 and regular Nintendo...maybe some old old computer parts but that may be false as I didn't keep much of anything that old. Oldest thing I have here in my house now are some old video/audio pci cards from the late to mid 90's maybe some ram that dates back to 1995.. who knows.

I wonder if my sound/lights from the 70's count? :D

16. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    [​IMG]

Everything still works. Even the fake Atari console.
    Even the 386 sub notebook with 4 AA batteries and 40MB drive-Win3.1 on a PCMCIA card works :D:D:D

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    ZX Spectrum for me. Played Bards Tale to death, I lost several adolescent years to that game.

I still have mine tucked away in the loft.

18. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Hell I remember going online when the internet was really just a testing connection between colleges as an uncle of mine in early 1992 worked in the IT dept of one near by, was able to "put the phone on the modem" :D and dial in.... I remember one night chatting it up in an IRC style format after watching Guns n Roses walk up on stage drunk as all hell during the video music awards.

Things like that you don't ever forget lol

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I still have an amiga but hard drive I think is buggered.

Will have a look at it this weekend and perhaps try and get it working...will post pics if I do.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ive been playing games since the Atari 2600 in the late 70's to the present day however these are some of my most prized.

I had this imported from Japan many many years ago(1991),it cost a small fortune.Some of the games have never ever been opened and still have there cellophne wrapper on them.Its very rare and so are the games for it.

Nec's/Hudsonsoft's Pc Engine way ahead of its time,never released in Europe,if it was it would have sold loads because of its arcade perfect conversions,god knows why they didnt release it,remember video games were very much in there infancy in those days,also Europe may have not really been ready for console invasion at the time,still it woulda sold loads.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Games collection some of which are unopened.
    [​IMG]

Games came on Hucards about 2 inchs buy 1 inch,very small for its time.
    [​IMG]

I used to have a Pc engine 8 bit but gave it too my brother around 1993 when he moved house,i havent a clue were it is now.It wasnt much bigger than a packet of skips crisps!

According to Wiki they only have pictures of the North american 16 bit(turbo grafx) and the 8 bit original Pc Engine,they dont have pictures of the original Japanese version that i have.

With dimensions of 14 cm x 14 cm x 3.8 cm (5.5in x 5.5in x 1.5in), the NEC PC Engine holds the record for the world's smallest game console ever made. (Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition (2008)

Guiness book of records...not bad for an 8bit console that could out perform the CBM Amiga 500 because of its custom chips which at the time was a very closely guarded secret.nobody knew what the chip specs where.

In 2009, the TurboGrafx-16 was ranked as the 13th greatest video game console of all time by IGN.

i also found my Neo geo cd up in the attic,there are lots of games in a bag up there somewhere...
    [​IMG]

i also found my JAMMA PCB supergun(for playing original arcade gamesin your home)i also found the Legendary MORTAL KOMBAT ORIGINAL ARCADE PCB!
    [​IMG]

MORTAL KOMBAT ORIGINAL PCB!(Printed circuit board)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mortal kombat can be emulated along with about 8000 other roms by using MAME.

All of these can be emulated perfectly on the pc,however one thing that cannot be emulated perfectly is the Neo Geo sound,it had 14 channel stereo sound that cannot be emulated today even on a pc with the best sound card,the neo geo really was way ahead of its time released in an era of games that were Sprite heavy and consisted of old skool shooters and Beat em ups,the games for the Neo Geo MVS (cartridge) cost £200 way back in 1990!

If you loved Street fighter then the Neo was for you.

This is one machine i woulda loved to have got my hands on years ago....

The 32bit FM Towns Marty
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_Towns_Marty
    The original fm towns
    [​IMG]

Anything that came out of japan in the late 80s was very far ahead of anything released in Europe or the USA,the FM towns was 32bit,had a cd rom and operating system long before Sony and Microsoft made them kinda standard.

On a side note i also found this up in the attic...a Genuine 1982 Boba feet Figurine unopened from 1982 still in its original wrapper and box!
    Front
    [​IMG]
    Back
    [​IMG]

I still have a lot of other computers consoles up in my attic for the 8/16bit era and other star wars memorabilia like Replicas, copies of movie scripts and signed signatures from the actors etc.

Last edited: May 5, 2012