Next Generation Consoles Can't Compete With PC's By Cevat Yerli Of CEO Of Crytek

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Penal Stingray, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Next Generation Consoles Can't Compete With PC's By Cevat Yerli The CEO Of Crytek

Though Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli is under a non-disclosure agreement from both Microsoft and Sony to not MAXIMUM BEAN-SPILL details on their next-gen console reveals, that doesn’t prevent him from preaching a bit to the Nanosuited choir. Speaking to Eurogamer, Yerli flatly proclaims the hardware rift between modular PC setups and the upcoming console family makes it “impossible” for the latter to match beefy battlestations.

[​IMG]

“It’s impossible to package $2,000-$3,000 worth of hardware into a mainstream—let’s say $500—console,” Yerli says. “I’m not saying they are $500 consoles. They may launch a console at $2,000, but the consumer pricing is usually much lower than that. So, given consumer pricing, and given the cost of production of a gamer PC and the amount of wattage and power it needs, which is like a fridge, it’s impossible.”

[​IMG]

Yerli believes PC gaming’s flexibility with swappable hardware components and the range of possible configurations gives it a competitive edge against consoles.

[​IMG]

“The whole modular way you can design a PC today with two, three, or four graphics cards in them, and you can water-cool them and overclock to infinity, that didn’t exist even six or seven years ago,” he says. “You just bought one or maybe two graphics cards and then you were super enthusiastic.

[​IMG]

“It’s very difficult to compete with that. People have these massive nuclear power plants standing in their rooms that will run your games really fast. It’s hard to compete with.”

Crytek’s sleek Crysis franchise boasts a long-standing reputation for pushing the limits of hardware as far as it can, but in the realm of consoles, Yerli admits the studio’s efforts to drive graphical innovation only progressed so far.

[​IMG]

“It was like a five or ten percent gain,” he estimates. “That’s it. We improved quality on consoles both visually and perception-wise through different techniques, not just brute force technology. So I think it’s above Crysis 2 on consoles.

“But the PC version, because the specs are now much more evolved—this is two years later, effectively—this is two generations of PCs we could leverage and DirectX 11 is fully rolled out, so now we could really push it,” he continues. “I made a joke at one point saying, ‘We’re going to melt PCs,’ and I think we’re going to melt PCs again. People want that, and we’ll deliver that.”

[​IMG]

It seems Crytek decided to unleash the full might of its CryEngine 3 workhorse after hearing requests from hardware-philes for a game to truly churn their machines.

“With Crysis 2, we tried to make the specs available to as many PC gamers as possible,” Yerli explains. “Then we heard back from the loudest group, which was enthusiast PC gamers, who said, ‘Our PCs are running this game at 200 frames. What the hell? We should be running at 30 frames.’

[​IMG]

“Our graphics programmers said, ‘We’re going to give them a game they can’t run any more.’”

[​IMG]

We accepted the challenge of running the un-runnable and dived into the brush and rubble of Crysis 3 for our review, which you can read right here.

Link: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/20/crytek-next-gen-consoles-pc/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Just so long as the console versions are fun to play, and don't involve registering with Steam, that doesn't really matter! ;)

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Sounds like we just want to sell as many copies on pc before we release the console versions (like crysis1)

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Didn't Crytek said that console was the way to go when Crysis 2 came out. Looks like they're flip flopping here.

deltatux

5. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Once you've paid upwards of £40 for a new game, it's only right that you can regard it as yours, to do with as you wish. ;)
    But that's not possible with Steam.
    Once a game has been installed, that's it.
    Sincerely hoping that CD Project doesn't follow that route with Cyberpunk next year, or with Witcher 3.

6. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    There's a difference between making a benchmark and making a game. Getting caught up in "making it look like the real thing" is what too many artist get caught up in these days, and I'm learning with age that there are a ton of other ways to make real immersion, or real characters than just looks. Don't get me entirely wrong, I can still like realistic looking things, I'm just saying that sometimes people forget that.

Except not every hardware enthusiast goes SLI even. Shortly after the consoles are released of course even lowend PC hardware is going to pass them. It's not even about going entirely all out. I think they're just trying to talk the talk to impress us who thought Crysis 2 was more of a console port upon release, which it was. They're just saying "hey guys, we still treasure you pc types!".

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    another muppet puppet controlled by EA

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    He makes obvious points but with plenty of mistakes while saying it. Anyway, Crytek in general can be trusted less than the distance they can be thrown. I'm expecting some jerkoff weasel scheme to be put into their next game much like the freakin' rectangular prisms in Crysis 2 that could have been 1 polygon, but instead were tessellated into 100000.

9. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Nice post, Stingray. :thumbup:

10. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Probably from all the bad press they had online from the PC community.
    :giggle2:

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and this is supposed to be shocking? PC have always been ahead of consoles, and always will. but to me it just has to run at 60 fps I dont care about 120fps or 200fps

Though his is right your not gona get 2000$ 4 sli over clocked to hell and back machine, out of console that about 400$ it will never happen.

60FPS is all consoles need a constant 60fps with AA/AF and all is good

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    PC is still more powerful than consoles.

*Breaking news! The world is reported to be round!*

/silly sarcasm/

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The resurrected Oscar Goldman for Crysis 3?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    I like that haha

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wouldn't believe anything he says, as remember when he said the consoles were not powerful enough for Crysis, so they wouldn't get it.

Well whats this :-

[​IMG]

and this :-

[​IMG]

The guys full of it! :D

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Still don't look anything like as good as on a gaming PC.

17. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Exactly, they got dumbed down version.

Same thing can be said about skyrim, even unmodded.
    I had bought both the PC and X360 version and you could clearly tell.

Obviously my computer ain't running on 7 year old technology :nerd:

18. Fluxeor

Fluxeor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-270X Toxic
    Indeed, it took them 4 years to eventually port it to console AND they had to heavily downgrade the visuals get it to run acceptably.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Just think of how much better Crysis 3 would look, if it was PC only! :)

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

Not to state the obvious, but DUHHH