Nvidia the ongoing Stutter / lag issue thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Oct 11, 2009.

1. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336042666

Re that post!

If anyone has any issue with stuttering/lag with the 190/191 drivers in certain games that are fixed with drivers 186 and previous. Could they post about it here please , i'm doing an update thread seeing as the problem is becoming more common with these new drivers.

Thankyou! :banana:

-

In reply to battlefield 2 issue

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    hey, hop on irc so i can talk about this with you :p
    im usually in #pcsx2, #ngemu and #starcraft / #starcraft2

3. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Maybe i dont want to talk about this with you :(

lol , i'll add you to my new msn

4. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896

5. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Added the quotes from rage

6. Nosgoth

Nosgoth Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX Black Ed.
    I'm using the 190.38WHQL and have the problem with Risen, the 0 max pre rendered frames fixed it for me so I never tried another driver, there is still the very occasional stutter here and there but it's 99% better than before

Most of the games I have installed are supposed to have some sort of performance issue, Prototype, Crysis, Warhead, GTAIV so I never thought about it
    I've only used this driver since I got my 260, I'll go install an older one and see what happens

7. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    I don't recommend this, it cripples frame rates considerably when games use Fullscreen frame buffer techniques.

Has anyone tried adjusting the Dynamic tiling setting?

8. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    I read that you shouldn't go any lower than 1 , i find 1 is just fine in nearly every game i've tried plus it helps with mouse lag and vsync apparantly.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I only have major stuttering in champions online when using 191.07. Using 190.62 fixed it for me.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It only helps on mouse lag with the cost of fps.

So if you can proof different, Nvidia has indeed screwed up.

11. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Can't say i noticed a loss in framerate , don't think it's really noticable on todays graphics cards

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Only thing I could find regarding it is that it seems to work on cores and treats.
    Like having it set to 1 is fine for a dual core while 2 seems to work better with a quad.
    Did you find some more information about it?

13. oozish

oozish Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX2 280 SC
    So glad for this post; I've done clean install, installed drivers 191.xx multiple times correctly, and the stutter is terrible in games like Team Fortress 2...I mean, it's TERRIBLE and unplayable...as if my FPS should be really low, but I look and I'm getting solid 60fps (verticle sync on).

I'm now using 182.50 without any issues, except of course I can't play batman at the highest frames because these drivers suck for that...so I'm screwed. But I'll stick with these since I play TF2 way more.

I've tried the quadro drivers too that just came out and those don't work either. 190.62 doesn't have the stutter for me, but they are unstable and I get frequent crashes of nvdisplay stopped responding and other weird problems.

14. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Why cant you play batman with those drivers? you sure you installed and enabled physix. cause i tried batman with 182.50 and even older 178 drivers and i got better frame rate then with the latest 191 whql. with physix maxed.

As for the dynamic tilling setting its worth a shot.. never really dabbled with that setting. will try it out when im home.

And the difference between new drivers plus prerendered frames at 0 and older drivers is still huge in risen. its not the setting thats responsible for stuttering.

15. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Going lower then 2 can cut your FPS in half when applying AA or HDR, or even SSAO.

16. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    "Simultaneous multithreaded (SMT) processors use data caches which are dynamically shared between threads. Depending on the processor workload, sharing the data cache may harm performance due to excessive cache conflicts. A way to overcome this problem is to physically partition the cache between threads. Unfortunately, partitioning the cache requires additional hardware and may lead to lower utilisation of the cache in certain workloads. It is therefore important to consider software mechanisms to implicitly partition the cache between threads by controlling the locations in the cache in which each thread can load data. This paper proposes standard program transformations for partitioning the shared data caches of SMT processors, if and only if there are conflicts between threads in the shared cache at runtime. We propose transformations based on dynamic tiling. The key idea is to use two tile sizes in the program, one for single-threaded execution mode and one suitable for multithreaded execution mode and switch between tile sizes at runtime. Our transformations combine dynamic tiling with either copying or storing arrays in block layout. The paper presents an implementation of these transformations along with runtime mechanisms for detecting cache contention between threads and react to it on-the-fly. Our experimental results show that for regular, perfect loop nests, these transformations provide substantial performance improvements."

It can improve performance on Quad cores to increase the setting to 2, as some FSX users have discovered.

17. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Any proof/benchmarks of this?

Though i'm taking this thread WAY off topic :bang:

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Just did a test with the setting of 1 and 2x2 SAA on WAR, performance is better with default 3 and higher.

19. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    :banana: Thanks!

Now back on topic , about that stuttering :)

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I don't have most of the games people talk about, but is it so that all those titles are Dx10?
    Since I can't remember that Ive seen worse performance in AoC Dx10 than with the 191's, and I mean in areas with no other players around me.