ATI Catalyst Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RanmaGamer61, Jul 27, 2013.

1. RanmaGamer61

RanmaGamer61 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
    Hi I was looking in the ATI Catayst options and I came across an option called, "Use Extended Display Identification Data", I can't get it to work properly.

Every time I enable the setting I get discoloration on icons and on my wallpaper. Does anyone know how to make the settings work?, and why am I having this problem?.

Bye :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I was just messing with this same setting, and it puts a yellow tint all over my Acer S201HL display. Happens on all 3 of them, so it's not just a random monitor issue it seems (although it could be tied to "that" specific model I guess).

The setting works fine on my laptop's screen though (fine as in it doesn't have any yellow tint, and colors look darker).

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Use "Extended Display Identification Data" stands for EDID!!!
    It allows your display to tell your PC about it's supported features, resolutions, color profiles, ...

Bad colors are not caused by driver, but by monitor having sh*7 factory settings.
    Probably color temperature like 3700K instead of 5400K/6500K on which people are used now. (white/blueish)

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have 2x 21' Sony Trinitron CRT's calibrated to 6500K and a 27' LCD, they all turn yellow like OP's.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz

Move Color Temperature slider completely to right and check EDID, then disable it again.
    Move slider completely left and again check EDID box.

Now You know that you either have custom temperature settings or you have settings given by monitor EDID.

If you calibrate your display with lets say Spider then it's calibrated to state at that time.
    Checking or unchecking EDID latter will kill this calibration.
    On My BenQ XL2420T EDID sets color temp. approximately to 6400K.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My monitor is already set to 6500k, color temp is adjustable using the menu. I can choose sRGB or Kelvin....

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    OP is not talking about settings via monitor physical controls.
    He is asking about calibration on software layer (color space transformation before image is sent via cable to LCD)

Looking this way:
    - image is rendered as RGB with color values(R0-255,G0-255,B0-255) per pixel.
    - each color value goes through software adjustment (contrast, hue, brightness, color temp, ...) = this part is affected by settings accessible via driver and by selecting EDID checkbox there (which overrides custom color temp by one given by display)
    - this altered image is sent via cable to display
    - where firmware may or may not do additional color processing and again may alter(contrast, hue, brightness, color temp, ...)
    - then it goes to screen itself which have certain ability to represent values given

IF EDID is checked and monitor overrides custom color temp. set on driver level, then monitor electronics must be properly calibrated for screen used.
    This is usually problem, because a lot of units are designed in lab with one type of screen and then another gets into production.

Now imagine that color space for RGB: at start it's R0-127-255,G0-127-255,B0-127-255, then it goes through driver settings where you keep contrast, hue, brightness at default, but color temp you have at 5800.
    That turns color space to R0-137-255,G0-130-255,B0-114-235(Black, Gray, White)
    Altered image goes to display where you have 6500K calibration which does not check what kind of temperature vga sent.
    And simply does it's own alteration based on temp setting in OSD which would alter it on opposite direction to R0-134-249,G0-128-251,B0-120-235(Black, Gray, White).

Apparently those are not values to Black gray white because color alteration by setting color temperature is far from color calibration.
    And optimal color calibration is done with all other Display/SW interferences OFF as they only decrease display ability to show colors as it should.
    And once calibration is done, all settings should stay as in moment of calibration. (unless you are using different calibrations for day and night)

Back to topic: OP's monitor is providing incorrect EDID data resulting in yellowish whites.
    I have pretty good color representation because I disabled completely color alteration features in my XL2420T (which are terrible anyway) and just kept proper contrast/brightness.
    All color alterations are done in one place and that is software layer in PC.

For monitors which have their own calibration sonde all software color alterations should be disabled to not interfere with HW calibration.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    fffff

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sure it does, and yet people still cut data communication wire to disable monitor EDID completely because in some situations monitor EDID data have upper hand.
    Data in driver are complementary to EDID in display and if OS does not ask monitor for info, EDID from driver file has priority.
    And as for WinVista monitor EDID could not be overridden.

And EDID checkbox in CCC is not taking values from some inf file, it uses I2C/DDC channel and gets info from monitor firmware by default.

Btw. on many monitors EDID data can be permanently altered.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No it doesn't. Windows has it's own EDID data in driver.

As you can see below my monitor cannot pass on incorrect info because it's EDID cannot even be read.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Pill sorry, I am still thinking about OP's problem and my reply was not to your screenshot which shows this:
    - Your monitor does not even have chance to give correct/bad EDID data.
    - EDID for color balance is taken from driver inf correct or not it alters your colors before they enter monitor
    - and as you stated you have your monitor set to 6500K which may or may not temper with color again (ask engineer who wrote it's firmware)

I don't know why your monitor is not providing or unable to provide EDID.
    But that does not change a thing on what I wrote in 1st place:
    If you have incorrect EDID data and you click "Use EDID" in CCC you end up with colors screwed by those date.

Therefore in your case EDID data from your monitor may be perfect (one can't know till you use them), but you have it wrong on inf level.

Edit: Typo change > chance correction

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To the OP, if you happen to read this (not sure if you do, since you let us play in our little sandbox).
    If that EDID checkbox does not provide good results, stick to the slider and set it to your liking.

Having EDID checkbox checked does not do anything else than overriding slider bellow anyway.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh yeah I agree 100%, prob need to write a custom driver I guess....

14. SamuelMaki

SamuelMaki Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gigabyte 670 OC
    Well, myself I got my laptop screen look much better when choose EDID-data on CCC and done the basic calibration on windows. The EDID did give too much red, but moving brightness and contrast a hint and reducing little red on the windows calibration, my laptop looks much better than with the kelvin setting only. Don't know how "wrong" that procedure was but at least my eyes like this more (colors are more deeper through the scale, but shows all steps on calibration tests so no cutting edges, same with white and black)

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    EDID does not mean bad. It's just set of data which will in this case alter color profile. You may be capable to find color profile for your screen calibrated with spyder or other sonde.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I have the Acer S231HL and it doesn't make any difference to the colour of mine

I did spend a long time manually adjusting the actual settings of the LCD when I first got it though, as everything that should have been white, was blue

And I have removed the default colour profiles in display settings and replaced them with sRGB profiles

17. Zurvan

Zurvan Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DirectCU II R9290 4G
    Can someone please help out? I'm getting problems with the resolutions in games. I have a 1080p monitor but I want to play at 1776*1000. Didn't had any problem but with b8 I'm getting way too big resolution when I play lower than 1080p. It seems like the game won't be played in any lower resolution. Also already reinstalled the driver...

Any help please?

18. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    even the EDID color info is corrrect the monitor itself will "degrade" and the color/brightness will change in long run, so end up the color info provide by the monitor may end up useless.

best solutions is to get something like spyder

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you got a link to that program ?

I can only find crappy looking ones :)