Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by (.)(.), Jun 23, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    [​IMG]

MerolaC's Updated Geforce Fix

After installing the official MGS2 Patch 2.0 (available below), this updated exe provided by MerolaC will allow Geforce users to set all GFX details to the highest level and prevent a "There is a problem with the hardware structure" error, which can be caused by setting "Model Detail" to a value higher than 1. Download Link: MerolaC's Updated Geforce Fix

Note: When using Enb/SweetFX, some Geforce users may experience a black screen with only the UI being displayed. If so, change Model Detail to the second lowest setting or alternatively, edit the MGS2SSET.ini and change the "Quality" setting to 1" .

Enbseries and SweetFX Setup

1)Install MGS 2 - Patch 2.0
    2)**Nvidia Users Only**Install/overwrite with this .exe: MerolaC's fixed Geforce exe.- Forum member MerolaC who made this fix, has posted (Link) that these are not needed for newer Ati cards, so disregard this step if you're an AMD user.
    3)Download Boris's DX8 to DX9 converter - ENBSeries DX8 to DX9 Convertor v0.035, then place "D3d8.dll" and "enbconvertor.ini" into the "bin" folder where the exes are located. Open enbconvertor.ini and make sure that the first 3 lines are this:
    4)Download Boris's ENBSeries v0.076 Generic and place d3d9.dll and enbseries.ini (Wrapper version) into the bin folder. Open enbseries.ini and copy as below:
    5)Download SweetFX by VFX ToFe.rar - (" boulotaur's injector but with updated shaders (to 1.5.1) plus Chromatic Aberation done by K-Putt" - Zomgerd). Place all into the bin folder, though you will need to extract the contained d3d9.dll to the desktop and rename it to d3d9_smaa.dll before placing it into the bin folder to prevent it from overwriting the enb d3d9.dll.

Alt-tabbing works fine, though on the off occasion it may give you the 'Im Windows and this is my friend Unexpected Error', so save game (it saves anywhere) and experiment, as you do.

Graphics/startup issues:(thanks to KrzYsieK8926 and Shabadoo for reminding me)

First, a simple one:

***There is a problem with the hardware structure***:
    1) The resolution you have set in the MGS2SSET.ini is not supported by your monitor. Nvidia users can get around this by creating a custom resolution.
    2) Model Quality bug. Fix:
    - Right click on MGS2SSET.ini and un-tick Read Only.
    - Open MGS2SConfig.exe.
    - click on "Drawing" tab.
    - Select "CUSTOM" and place all options to their highest value, except "Model Quality" - Place it on 1 or you'll get the above error.
    - Click ok then Exit.
    - Dont forget to reapply your preferred resolution afterwards.

***Only Hud elements showing, Black Screen or Sound Issues*** - (Black screen Credit: SoulSnatcher)
    1) Download Creative ALchemy Universal
    2) Start Creative ALchemy Universal then click "Add" - enter a Game Title of your choice.
    3) Select the "Use Game Path" option
    4) In windows explorer, navigate to your MGS2 bin folder, right click on the address bar and select "Copy address as text" then paste into the "Use Game Path" address bar and then click ok.
    5) MGS2 should now be entered as an entry in the left column, select it, then click on the right arrow to move it to the right column.
    6) Open you MGS2 bin folder to confirm that two files, dsound.ini & dsound.dll, have been placed inside.

***Alternative Black Screen Fix***

That should fix any problems. If not, delete the two files, follow the same steps above but this time when you click "Add" select "Disable Direct Music" under the "Settings" options at the bottom of the window.

WideScreen Fix
    Ive updated the WSGF entry for MGS2, though unfortunately aspect ratio gets a little nerfed though not to noticeable one you're busy playing.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/metal-gear-solid-2-substance

***4:3 Screen Resolutions***
    If you want a less stretched aspect ratio that widescreen introduces, setup a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel for any of the below (or your own), then follow the above steps for custom resolutions for MGS2 and enter the same values in the MGS2SSET.ini. This will apply vertical letterboxing and correct any stretching that widescreen resolutions introduce.

Down-sampling on 16:9 to 1080p - Custom Letterbox Resolution for correct aspect ratio:
    • 1500x1080
    • 2000x1440 - Imo, looks better than 2200x1440, but i could be crosseyed for all i know.:D
    • 2200x1440
    • 2350x1640
    I'll add more resolutions as I play around.

Note: None of these mods/fixes were made by me. Im just gathering everything i find since its spread out all over the net and not in anyone place.

***Screenshots***
    2000x1440 + SweetFX (no AA and not the most interesting, sorry:p)​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. Abottwhite27

Abottwhite27 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 660 TF
    Cool thing thanks! I'm a huge fan of the mgs series and despite playing almost whole game with young raiden the setting and storyline is nevertheless great.

Got it for PS2 and pc and ran into issues with the game textures after switching to win7 couple years ago. Found a instruction how to get it to work probably fixing the graphical issues like transparent glitches and stuff through hexing the mgs2exe.

Think I'm going to play through for 8th time now on european extreme this time with sweetfx ;)

Would be awesome to get the first game running in hardwaremode but needs an old card to work properly..

Cheers

3. Shabadoo

Shabadoo Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080TI
    Do you have pics of this working because i followed your directions and it either throws a error that says "There is a problem with the hardware structure." or it only shows the hud elements.

Also which version of ENBSeries v0.076 Generic do I use there is a wrapper version and an injector version in the zip file provided. Also with said dll am i supposed to wipe the whole enbseries.ini and only copy and paste the text you provide or just make the alterations shown.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hey mate.

1)Resolution not supported natively.
    For example, if you have a 1080p monitor and you put a resolution of 2560x1440 into the MGS2SSET.ini, you will need to make a custom resolution of 2560x1440 via the Nvidia Control Panel (aka downsampling) under the "Change Resolution" sub-menu - "Customize"

2)
    3)As for the enb, thats a good point, i didnt specify what variation to use (wrapper/injector)so OP updated, cheers. Use the Wrapper version.

4)Just make the alterations i provided and leave the rest untouched.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I played this game to death on the PS2, unlocked everything including the Cloaking device for invisibilty. Nice on PC but seriously burnt out on MGS games.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    skateboarding was cool in this :D

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its my first playthrough and really enjoying it so far. Will move onto MGS4 after this as i've read that MGS3 is just a prequel, so ill save it for last.

Wait...what! Skateboarding?

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    MGS 3 was my favourite tbh out of all of them but there all great games tbh. All of them deliver.

9. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I want to clarify something about the graphic fix (the EXES)
    ONLY use it if you have an nVidia card. DO NOT USE IT with an ATI/AMD card, it's NOT needed.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah from the reviews (video/written), it looks great.

This is from the read me file:
    It suggests that Ati user have (had - quite an old game after all) issues as well. What happened when you used it or did it work fine without even needing to try?

Cheers.

11. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    Yeah, but not on PC.

BTW Can You set every graphic option to max? I remember trying to play this some time ago and have to keep one slider on lowest value (textures maybe) otherwise there was no textures in-game.I've played with ATI fix/patch 2.0 also I looked on forums and other people had the same problem.
    I think it's related to newer video cards (like broken lighting/shadows in Pandora Tomorrow) not sure if it's only AMD or on Nvidia also, though)

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

You can apparently by disabling Pixel Shader in Rivertuner. Though ive not given it a go yet, but will try right now since you reminded me. You just need to use this method here by cowie:http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3905071&postcount=3

You're right though, lowering model detail to 1 or lower is a temp fix.

I report back in just few minutes.

Edit: Ok, it seems i cant do this method on my 580s. THe option menus that i need access to arent even displayed in river tuner and other than displaying the names of the GTX580s, rivertuner doesnt seem to really recognize my cards.

13. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    That fix is quite old
    The fix for ATI only applies to OLDER cards (ATI Radeon 9800, etc) Those had the crash/freeze.
    With newer cards (The HD series till now) it's NOT needed and the game works just fine.
    But, for nVidia cards, newer and older you'll need it regardless (From FX5000 series, till now.)

14. iceagex

iceagex Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 @ 2100 - 8775
    Thanks!!!

15. machine4578

machine4578 Guest

GPU:
    GEForce GTX 660 2GB
    such an old game, but a great one!.. thanks!

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Updated OP with your info. Thanks man.

17. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    No problemo.
    Glad to help.
    I wish I had more knowledge to fix the resolutions problem and add proper 16:9 aspect ratio.... :( The game really needs that. Specially, not having an alternative and by that I mean, a proper working PS2 game as it has lots of problems in PCSX2. (Slowdowns, graphical glitches and sometimes not even able to boot the game depending on the version you got...)

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah iv just been looking at the Hex editing method for Geforce cards to be able to use the Model Detail at max. Im assuming the hex methods are what you have used for your .exes?

Thanks for the current exes btw. Great game.

On the subject of Aspect Ratio, ive found this http://www.cheatengine.org/index.php and here a Steam thread of it being used in a game called Y's (or something).

Screens
    4:3
    16:9

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  19. UNREAL_2004

UNREAL_2004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 & G12+H55

I also got that error but runs fine if i disable the DX8 to DX9 Convertor

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Just popping out to get dinner, will post picks and more info when i get back.