Valve's Steam Box game system to begin testing in 3-4 months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I like how Valve just does these random things these days that seem completely pointless. Really, a Steambox? Mac and Linux support for random games? What happened to the days when Valve was a game studio, I mean come on.

3. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    I dont see any harm in expanding their range of products and services, may bring other companies to do the same.

4. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    no hl2 ep 3/hl3 news = not interested in valve news

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The aim of this is great, bring PC into the living room and all that. But I really don't see how something like this would work, PC games are a completely different beast to console games. Console games are heavily optimized for the specific hardware in those consoles, so they run perfect with no bugs.

Just about every component of this thing would need to be upgradeable, and it basically has to be exactly like a PC with windows and the ability to update video drivers etc. Otherwise it will be a bug fest with hardware that will run PC games well for about three years, and that's about it. Will be interesting to see what they come up with that's for sure. :3eyes:

6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

id buy one

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i will be the only one on this planet who won be playing HL3. i also think iam the only one who stil didn't play Black Mesa thing.

HL= Boring

anyway, Valve; lets see what you got there. maybe you bring something interesting. have no idea how it will effect the markets.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Gabe: We're proud to be releasing L4D2 soon!

HL Fan: When's HL3 coming out?

Gabe: Portal 2 is going to amazing, it will be arriving later this year.

Gabe: We're painstakingly working on our support for Mac OS, it's going to be great!

Gabe: Look out everyone we're planning on releasing a Console system! :D

*cricket*

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, because bringing PC gaming to the masses is completely pointless.

Valve has multiple teams working internally. They launched Portal 2 not that long ago and are currently in the process of launching Dota 2. Leaks have shown that they are working on a new engine internally and will probably launch a HL3 on that. And Valve has always taken forever to release stuff, so no I don't really remember the days.

With the PS4 and "720" being PC hardware I don't see how this is a problem anymore. As long as the platform doesn't constantly shift game developers will know what they need to target.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    nah, i'm with you. never beat a HL game, got bored of the first two back when they were big.

11. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead

you have hit the nail on the head with this post lol :eek:c:

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I mean he can't answer because Valve doesn't have set schedules or targeted releases. People can shift teams at will, they aren't tied to specific projects. They come in and work on what they want, when it's finished it's finished. It's kind of a dumb question to ask Gabe when you know how the company works.

13. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    They won't be targeting this platform. Its essentially a mini PC that will just install and run steam games as normal PC's do... I'm assuming *shrug*. If this is the case then it will be experiencing the same bugs and possible performance problems that PCs games sometimes suffer. Which are only fixed by game patches and video driver updates. Meaning it won't last like a console, for 10 years.. lol. This is what I meant.

But yeah, it might actually be a console that devs will specifically make games for and sell them on steam, separate from PC games, who knows. Maybe all this has been revealed somewhere but I haven't seen it haha. :infinity:

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nothing at all. You mean you haven't been flooded with DOTA 2 invites by Valve? :p

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ive got 17 of them.:bang:

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    People were buying them for a couple of cents a head when the Market allowed listing :p I got 11 cents out of 2 invites .. no complaints :p

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think this is a huge waste of time and money for Valve.

If they won't subsidise the hardware then it won't be of any challenge to the PS4/720, and won't help bring PC gaming to the masses as it will either be too expensive or too slow.

Unsure a gimmicky heart rate monitoring controller will help things either.

Will be interesting to see, but it looks like a small market to me i don't see why console gamers would be interested and i don't think PC gamers would either.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just plug in an HDTV to your PC as a secondary or a mirrored monitor and you've got your own steam box. Waste of R&D money.

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I think they need something a little more slicker than just Steam Big screen. No HTPC is complete without Netflix..etc. Toss in some PVR and Streaming to other devices in the house, compatabilities with Android/Ios, cloudbox functionality..etc would help get some consumer attention if marketed right and even that might not be enough to shine in the shadows of the PS4/720 without losing money.

20. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    This^

I think consoles will one day be more like easily upgradeable computers. But I don't see the Steam box taking off. People buy consoles to play exclusive titles. And I can't think of too many PC exclusives that aren't already ported to other consoles.

I mean, Portal 2 is on every platform for instance.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013