My Processor Isn't Running Optimally

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by JoshuaNickerson, Apr 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JoshuaNickerson

JoshuaNickerson Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia Geoforce 9500 GT
    Hello everyone, name's Joshua Nickerson.
    Since I'm more of a straightforward person, I'll get straight into the problem I have.

My computer runs on an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66 GHz. However, I've noticed that my games, alongside other processes have become, well, rather terrible. Things that used to run quite well no longer do so, and so I've come to seek help for this situation.

Currently, my processor clocks at 1.6GHz, which is definitely not right in association with my processor's speed.

I've ran games that should have easily pushed the potential speeds of the processor, but alas, no dice.

The current motherboard I am using is a: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD and the system model is G31 TM-P21(MS-7529). CPU-Z states the socket of the processor is 775 LGA.

I have defragmented my hard drive, cleaned things that would have taken up processor space, and have even gone through registry cleaning. Yet my processor still clocks at 1.6GHz.

Trying to adjust core multipliers does not work for me as far as I can tell in BIOS. The minimum I can choose is 6, maximum being 8. I can over clock the amount of MHz from 200x8 to 210x8, and that's the least I can do. Anymore and overclocking fails for my processor.

So I'm wondering if any one of you could help get my computer back up to speed so my games actually work optimally. Any help is appreciated and I thank you in advance. (If anyone needs my DxDiag, I can post that).
    *Edit* Few mistakes fixed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    Hi Joshua.

Have you cheked what power plan does windows have active? (Maximum power/energy save)

You can see what is active in the control panel-energy plan or setting.

Maybe reset bios to optimal default migth help too ;)

3. JoshuaNickerson

JoshuaNickerson Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia Geoforce 9500 GT
    Currently I have my windows running at Always On.

*Edit* I should also note BIOS is at optimal default because of how flustered I got from trying to solve the problem via BIOS lol

4. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    Do you have "speedstep" enable in bios? if so, disable.

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    What operating system are you using (xp - vista - win7)? How long has it been since a clean install of an os?

Have you blown the inside of the case out recently?

What games, in paticular, are causing issues?

6. JoshuaNickerson

JoshuaNickerson Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia Geoforce 9500 GT
    EIST in Bios is disabled. Still clocked at 1.6MHz.

Windows XP Service Pack 3, more specifically Windows XP Home Edition 5.1, build 2600. Been maybe about three years since I've installed it.

I'll power off my computer and try that right now.

League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod.
    These three games used to run at 40+ frames constantly but now have trouble reaching 25. League has only released new character reworks alongside new characters, and not much has changed to the source engine for a complete overhaul of my system to my knowledge.

7. JoshuaNickerson

JoshuaNickerson Guest

GPU:
    Nvdia Geoforce 9500 GT
    I went about the process of cleaning out my PC, sounds like it's running a lot better, but my processor's still clocked at 1.6 GHz.

8. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    My guess is that your processor is functioning properly, that is, by downclocking when it's not being used to max capacity.
    Check to see what cpu-z says when you're doing something that would tax the processor.

In your original post when you said "got slower over time", that rang a mental bell. Really old operating installs get messed up. Registries get terribly clunky, old files everywhere, etc... leading to the "slowing over time" effect.
    Heat can affect the processor - it can go into a downclocked mode to save itself.

In your bios make sure you've disabled C1E and HPET.

To overclock a socket 775, if I remember correctly, you need to increase your FSB, not your cpu multiplier. Set your memory multiplier to 1:1 and increase your FrontSideBus in increments of 10-20Mhz with saves and reboots in between attempts to raise.

Please, check to make sure your processor isn't just downclocking when it's not being utilized fully before you do any major changes.

A must have - http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013