Choppy in Windowed Mode?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ExoriaX, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    Hello, I notice that most of games tend to choppy when using windowed mode. By games, I mean EVERY games. This isn't constant but goes to choppy once a while while playing games.

I think it has something to do with settings. I just don't know what am I suppose to do to fix this problem.

I had AMD Phenom II X4 955 with Radeon HD 5770 which choppy happens sometimes too and now with i5 3570k with Radeon HD 7850 the choppy still happens sometimes.

Note that this only happen in windowed mode. Full screen is perfectly fine, zero choppy at all. I use windowed mode more often than full screen for one main reason: I have 2 monitors which I don't like alt-tab and back in game. I have one monitor for gaming and other monitor for internet, oovoo and such.

Any idea?

2. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Hi :D

I think it is generally accepted that games in window mode tend to be choppy naturally. I don't know the exact reason why, but this has been a fact ever since. However, it was worse in the past. Newer games can run in window mode with much less performance impact, but still the frames will drop in window mode.

What choppiness are you talking about exactly? Like unplayable choppy? or low FPS choppy? :D

3. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    It's definitely not unplayable choppy. I think it loses some frames in once a while. I would guess between 30mins to 1hr and choppy happens then 5-10 seconds later it's back to normal. It does the same thing everyday. lol

I posted here because it annoys me. lol

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Probably choppy, as in windowed mode, you'll only be running at your cards 2D clocks, instead of its 3D clocks.

5. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    ^ What Rich_Guy said.

Try opening GPU-Z when going into window mode and look at the clocks both GPU core and memory clock and notice that they will be forced to drop down.

Whenever you go into windows desktop, clocks always drop to 2D, so running a game in window mode is much like ALT+TABing.

Why not play in fullscreen mode? :D

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    This is probably whats going on. I use Radeon Pro and it does lock my Windowed games in 3D clocks since I'm using other settings. As to why use windowed mode, color correction and task switching is better than full screen mode.

Great for MMO, RPGs and other games that not too intensive.

The bad thing is that windowed mode is not CFX compatible. I don't know if SLI works in windowed mode.

7. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    Is there any way to fix this? If not then is there a program that can force the clock to stay max instead of dropping? If so then is it safe to do that?

8. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    RadeonPRo 1.1.1.0
    Profile for the game
    OverDrive Tab
    Enable Graphics OverDrive
    Always use highest performance clocks while gaming

But i don't think it's a real fix cause my 480GTX always worked full clocks even in window.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Trouble is, you and PowerPlay have different understainding of WHEN you are gaming. And it's been like this for at least since HD4000 days if not earlier.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33989470

Some swear it's a feature, some say it's a bug.
    Basically don't watch videos while playing.