Worth Upgrading?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by [GMC]Blackdog, Sep 5, 2013.

1. [GMC]Blackdog

[GMC]Blackdog Guest

GPU:
    2 GigabiteGTX460@822/1644
    Hey guys. Haven't been on here in a LONG time.

WOOOOWWWW stuff has improved a lot!! 6 cores!

Its almost funny im on a LGA775 socket Core2Dual still..

But thats my question. Is it worth upgrading? I still play everything at really high settings and haven't had a big issue other then some stability issues with HD space and OCing the main CPU..

Would it really be worth upgrading? would i notice a visual difference? specs are in my sig..yes..that CPU is real :cool:

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    I too am considering upgrading. I'm in just about the same boat as you. I'm pretty much blind to what happened to computers in the past 2-3 years. But hey I've been spending hours trying to catch up. The thing with our systems is that our motherboards and sockets are obsolete. So pretty much we'll be buying a whole new system. IMO it's worth upgrading eventually this year or early next with all these new things coming out which should theoretically drive prices down. Still, despite our systems being out of date they still hold their own today. One thing that is really pushing me to upgrade is solid state drives. I want to do a fresh install of windows but I want to do it on an SSD this time. But, we're still on SATA II (3Gbit/s)... which would bottleneck an SSD. Thus I have my desire to refresh my hardware. Also I'm just itching for building another system... It's been a long time.

edit: Also you're system is better than mine so I expect you'd be able to get by longer... maybe consider adding more ram or get a better monitor...etc... But if you can afford it and want to upgrade then I'd say definitely go for it... but that's just me :p

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well your graphics are already maxed out so a new GPU won't make things look better.....

4. [GMC]Blackdog

[GMC]Blackdog Guest

GPU:
    It wont? DX11 hasn't kicked in? Figured a new CPU would allow for a better GPU to see see a better difference. Or are my OCed 460s still gonna be good? I mean im happy with them. Just curious if im really missing out?

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    in all honesty your not missing much really. My friend is still on LGA775 with a Core 2 Quad @ 2.3GHz and a 9800GTX+ with 4GB RAM and his PC can still play a lot of games pretty well. Hes just brought Lost Planet 3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Resident Evil 6, and Batman Arkham City. His system handles them extremely well at 1080p with low to medium settings and using FXAA instead of MSAA. He uses DXTORY to cap some of them to 30fps to get a more smoother feel and neither of them dip below that 30fps mark and hes happy playing with a controller on his sofa on his 50" Plasma and the games look pretty damn good even with the lower settings.

If you really want to upgrade then I would consider saving up a nice chunk of cash and splashing out a completely new build, maybe save some of the stuff from your current rig like HDD, drives, case, etc. Get your self a Haswell build (4670K) with a decent overclocking board and an aftermarket cooler to overclock it with and some at least 8GB DDR3. Keep your current GPU as newer ones are JUST around the corner so buying a new one now would be suicide for your wallet as current prices will fall as AMD will release their 9000 series (being announced this month) and rumors are Nvidia have the 800 series ready for release early-mid next year so wait at least til then to decide on which cards to upgrade to.

If your happy with your current system and there is nothing that you want to play or do that it struggles or simply can't do then by all means upgrade. But like I said, my friend is still very happy with his £700 rig he build nearly 6 years ago if not longer.

6. [GMC]Blackdog

[GMC]Blackdog Guest

GPU:
    Well thats a good sum up i guess.

I play most stuff at 1980x1200 but going down to 1080p won't hurt.

I won't worry about it then. All my stuff is OCed and still on air cooling. Thought about water cooling..but eh. whatever.

Cool. I just figured stuff had improved so much since ibuilt mine 5 years ago with all the dying LGA775 stuff and figured it might be worth upgrading. But. No real need i guess.

thanks.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Main advantage behind getting a new platform will be power consumption, a newer rig will probably use half the power of your current one. Biggest thing you could do would be getting an SSD. Those things rock.

8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Totally agree... don't worry about sata2 slowing down the drive if you're using it for OS\Programs. You won't believe just how fast your "Old" system will feel.

9. [GMC]Blackdog

[GMC]Blackdog Guest

GPU:
    SSD huh? that would be fun..

Wanted one back in the day. but they were sorta new and freakin epic expensive. 10k rpm drives was the best way to go for money and speed with RAID.

might have to look into one..was gonna do a full wipe and reinstall anyways.