No 2D clocks for 560 Ti in windows 7

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by eddman, Mar 20, 2012.

1. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    In windows XP my 560 Ti worked at three different power profiles.

GPU clocks:

3D: 830 MHz
    Low 3D: 405 MHz
    2D: 50-52 MHz (can't remember correctly)

Now I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit with SP1 and all updates installed. No matter what I do, the card never goes into the 2D power profile and idles at 405 MHz. I tried disabling Aero and choosing "Power Saver" option in windows control panel but none worked.

Is it normal?

EDIT: driver version 296.10

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. volly

volly Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    What kind of monitor do you have eddman?

Reason I ask is that I have the same videocard as you but I'm running a 120hz monitor, now it won't down-clock into 2D mode cause I have have it 120hz refresh rate.

If you do have a 120hz monitor try setting the refresh rate in windows down to 60hz and see if it changes state!

Good luck!

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Running a monitor in 120hz doesn't allow downclocking to 2d, and the same happens with 2x 60hz i.e. two monitors. But 120hz monitors (at least mine) can be set to 110hz as well which does allow 2d clocks.

4. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    No, mine isn't 120 Hz. It's a 21.5" 1080p samsung, set at 60 Hz which is the max refresh rate.

5. volly

volly Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Ok, just check your 'Manage 3d setting' in your Nvidia panel and see if it's set to single monitor or multi monitor display.

Also just see the option underneath that 'Power Management Mode', should be set to adaptive.

If you get stuck there perhaps check and see if you have any 3rd party programs that might be interfering with the clocks like MSI afterburner.

See how you go!

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well the 296 driver has been a little weird for 560 & 460 users, give an older driver like 285 a shot!

7. volly

volly Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    I hear the 266.66 (I think) worked fine for many users with a gtx 560ti, a lot of people started having trouble after that.

I've just stumbled across some settings in MSI afterburner, just researching about the settings in the profile section of afterburner. It has 2D/3D profiles that you have to set.

Never really bothered with it before.

8. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    using 295.73 here

9. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    im having the same sort of problems with my 480..sometimes the clock wont drop to 51mhz....
    ive found this has something to do with resuming from a sleep mode...
    the only way around it i have found is to either reboot...or disable/renable the card in device manager..
    driver version is not the problem as it has dont it with every driver ive ever used..

i also use MSI's profiles to auto overclock...but this only kicks in when 3D starts..auto applying my overclock (eg card is at default clocks until a 3d app kicks in where it increases 3D core, memory and voltage. when the app stops, msi will drop the clocks back to default)

10. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    You are right. I restarted my PC and then immediately ran GPU-Z. Now it drops to 50 MHz, although I never put my computer to sleep. Something seems to be triggering this behavior, maybe launching a 3D program, like a game or something. Strange bug.

EDIT: Ok, it has nothing to do with games. It happened again and I certainly didn't run any games; won't go any lower than 405.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

11. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    some content in a browser will take it up to the 405 clocks..same with windows live messenger..

http://www.geeks3d.com/20120309/gpu-shark-0-5-6-video-card-monitoring-nvidia-geforce-amd-radeon/
    this app has a feature showing which apps are using 3D..(can also be found in GPU Caps Viewer)
    but even after all the 3d apps have been closed (apart from dwm.exe) the clocks still dont drop to idle..

ive also found that certain games crash on exit..due to MSI afterburner (i dont know why)..when these games crash they dont release the driver properly causing the clocks to stay high (reboot or disable/renable hardware required)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. volly

volly Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Hrmmm...been looking around for you Eddman cause I'm curious about this issue also.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who has had the same problem as Edd and has overcome it?!

My 560 has never really behaved properly but I put that down to me having a 120hz monitor, I just let it run at full speed.

Sorry Edd, did you say if you have any third party program monitoring like MSI afterburner running?!

13. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    Thanks. I'll take a look at that program.

Sorry, I forgot. No, I don't have MSI afterburner installed or any overclocking program for that matter.

14. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    I think I found the culprit. I noticed that this issue happens right after watching a flash video in browser. I disabled flash's GPU acceleration and the problem seems to be gone.

I have the latest version installed, 11.1.102.63. Don't know if it's the same case with olders builds and I don't want to go into the trouble of unistalling and installing an older version. For now I'll just keep the GPU acceleration disabled.

15. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    effin Flash...how many times does adobe wanna screw up!..
    i had a thought it might have been flash...but thought they had fixed these problems..looks like its back again :/

16. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    I made a bug report at their website. See if they even care to read.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3143799

I said I'll disable hardware acceleration but videos stutter and play jerky, so I had to enable it again.
    Not much of a problem to be honest. GTX 560 Ti still runs pretty quiet even at 405 MHz.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  17. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    Sorry for bringing this up.
    Adobe just reproduced and confirmed this bug. Now they are waiting on user votes on this issue.
    If your computer runs into this bug too, then please go to the bug's report page and vote. It'll get fixed sooner. You can find the link in my previous post.