Upgrading DNS/DHCP Server 2k3->2k8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by volkov956, Apr 4, 2013.

1. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    We are having an issue Our Main DNS/DHCP server is runnign Windows Server 2003 Enterprise which has been chugging along nicely for a while (through many hardware upgrades and changes) Our Problem is We install Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and setup the server the same way we did 2k3 but it will not let the Users have Access to the interenet they can access the local network and other local systems.

From what we found is Server 2008 Doesnt like Dynamic IP's from our ISP. We contacted MS and they more aless said to get it working u need a static IP. What I am wondering is there anyway to override the Static IP requirement somewhere I checked to gpedit.msc and networking options. Server Status only error refers to a non static ip as well being the problem. We dont require a vpn or remote access so a dynamic ip from our isp is fine

DHCP and DNS are on a single system 2 Nics one for ISP 1 for Network Racks (and Wireless accesspoints that are auto run by the server not themselves). There is no hardware or software Firewalls interfering with the network.
    Of coruse if we revert and go back to 2k3 it works fine with the dynamic IP....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Put a router in front of the the 2K8 box and be done with it. Don't know what data you push through your connection and would be only the consideration of what kind of router to use.

This would be kind of a half ass way of doing it but it would solve your issue of having a static IP and the router could manage your ISP IP changing you address.

3. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Routers have issue when we push over max 500 connections (even routers that claim more) aka router when we have say 3 clients fetch 200-300 connections at once router just go bleh. Router Firewalls also are a issue even if u semi disable it since u cant 100% disable it

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    How many connections was the 2K3 box able to handle without issue?

What services are you running that are requiring 300+ connections?

5. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    we were not able to hit the limit with the 2k3 machine except the ISP Limit which is have no idea seems random at best

Advanced Military Simulation Environments which is run off another server tethered to the main server and which contacts other global servers and clients

Routers Handling Lan networks have also been saturated at times when we have enough local users

We would stick with current 2k3 but we are migrating to newer servers that no longer support 2k3 nor does the new software and services

6. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    If the 2K8 box really can't be configured for non-static IP ( Between you and me, there has to be a way ) , you could keep the 2K3 box for now and have it between your ISP and your 2K8 box .

But really, you can't be the only one that has a 2K8 box connected to a ISP that uses DHCP to generated your IP?

How stable is the connection until the ISP changes your IP and how often do they change your IP?

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    random i had one IP for 2 yrs then another for 1yr then another for a month so far

I still don't know why they made this requirement i still looking through registry and other places in hope to stumble on something

8. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    How are you reestablishing connectivity to the internet when your IP changes?

How stable is your connection to your ISP before your IP changes?

9. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    2k3 system auto changes value that it recieves from ISP

Isp Claims:
    Our IP values change when ISP overload IP ranges our Ips are shared between multiple Communities or when ISP detects issues with Specific Port on Switch Racks, Or when there is a long power out lasting between 1-4hrs.

Connection overall is usually fine before and after IP change over.

10. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Idea: Have a program running on the 2K8 box that monitors for internet activity.

Upon discovery that 2K8 box can no longer connect to the internet, run a script to perform a ipconfig /release. Then a ipconfig /flushdns and then a ipconfig /renew. You'll have to select which nic card to perform the above action upon.

Will this work? It should work and would solve your issue.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sounds like a problem with your gateway, local network is not the internet - it's the computers running on the same LAN subnet.

Your server may need a static I.P> because if it uses a Dynamic I.P the other computers on the same network will be on a different subnet....

Depending on the router there should be an option to assign a static I.P. to a particular client so when DHCP assigns I.P. addy's it always uses the same address.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  12. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    well in our 2k3 setup there is no router more aless its just acting as a wireless switch

it goes Modem->2k3 server>rack switches>router same estup doesnt work with 2k8 because it is complaining (and just refuses to work because of this) of non static IP which in 2k3 it didnt care

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's the actual error?

14. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    i will get back to u I am not at the location atm

15. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    well we discuess it with our old MS rep more aless officially what we are trying to do isn't possible since 2k8 or newer so only way to do it officially is to seperate DHCP and DNS to sepreate systems so we will just still to 2k3 :/ on a single machine till we find a hack/mod or an alternative method to run both off same system the way were doing it with 2k3.

Another of the problems we were told is we don't use active directory domain another reason it won't work yes 2k3 it works perfect without using domain controllers. and faster as well without that crap

i guess anyone know a good Linux Distro that someone can use that is good for a DNS/DHCP server on same system aka doesnt require a router since it is the router more aless... I know there is redhat but havent worked with that since 2000 but its no longer free really

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It seems you're using the Windows Server 2008 R2 server as a router? While that is certainly feasible, personally I would install a copy of a light weight Linux distribution and just configure iptables to do what you're doing. It'll likely work better. I've configured Ubuntu Server as a router before and made a thread for it here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=329848

Plus, ensure that you configure the firewall correctly, unlike Server 2003, Server 2008 R2's firewall controls both inbound and outbound traffic while the firewall in Server 2003 only cared about inbound traffic. Due to security issues of the past, starting in Server 2008, the firewall is very stringent and must be properly configured unlike previous server editions of Windows.

With a Linux system, you just really need BIND for DNS (although only if you have web services running behind this box, not sure why you need a local DNS, but I don't know your network set-up) and dhcpd. Both are normally available on every major distribution.

If you're familiar with Red Hat, I'd suggest you look into CentOS, many web servers run on it, it's an openly developed version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (successor to Red Hat Linux). http://www.centos.org

deltatux

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013