ATIman on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Endymion FRS, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Endymion FRS

Endymion FRS Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950 WF3
    How do I get ATIman to work on Windows 8? I already had to install under a separate admin account, and now launching it always gives me a critical error.

2. FrostMTG

FrostMTG Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5850 1GB
    What an odd coincidence that I see this thread tonight.

I use windows 8 Pro 64 bit, when I installed ATIman (I LOVE Atiman, it uninstalls the drivers so nice), it gave me a bluescreen when I logged out of the admin account.

I thought i was the only one, but I wouldn't recommend using it unless he releases a new version.

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    did this to me on windows 7 on reboot.

i think this is an AMD issue, as it had just uninstalled, not install.

Just reboot and re run atiman.

works fine.

4. syncore

syncore Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    TL;DR -- Have been strong supporter of driver cleaner software (ATIMan, etc) which worked flawlessly on Windows 7, but on Windows 8 it can seriously corrupt your Windows installation, making it completely unbootable without a re-installation. Instead use manual steps to remove drivers, wait for developers to release Windows 8-compatible driver cleaners. Caveat: this may only apply to users like me with both AMD and nVidia (for PhysX) cards in the same machine, this is unconfirmed.

I've been a strong advocate of ATIMan and other Driver Cleaners for years--i.e.: DriverCleaner.net, Driver Sweeper (now known as Driver Fusion)--but on Windows 8 I have had nothing but problems with all of these. I used to think anyone who had problems with this software simply had little computer knowledge or was a complete newbie. But I've tried using any of these about 3 times now and any time I've tried Windows 8 fails to load (I believe ntbtlog.txt cites dxgkrnl.sys as driver causing the error). I would have been thoroughly screwed if I did not have recent system drive images as there was no way to get back into Windows without fully reinstalling (safe mode did not work, using the command prompt and manually restoring files did not work, manually restoring registry backup from command prompt did not work). I don't know if this is just my unique experience since I have a system that has both AMD and nVidia (for PhysX) cards, but this was never a problem in Windows 7. As it stands now, I would not use a driver cleaner in Windows 8 until one has been fully developed and made compatible with Windows 8. Instead, I manually uninstall:

MANUAL UNINSTALLATION OF AMD DRIVERS ON WINDOWS 8

(1) Run the Application Profiles (CAP) uninstaller from 'Programs and Features', select 'No' to restarting now.
    (2) Run the AMD uninstaller from 'Programs and Features'. Express uninstall all ATI, select 'No' to restarting now.
    (3) Uninstall any leftovers in the case that step (2) fails with Windows Installer Cleanup available here.
    (4) Manually delete all AMD and ATI registry entries from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node
    (5) Manually delete any AMD or ATI folders from C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local, C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming, C:\ProgramData, C:\Program Files, and C:\Program Files (x86)
    (6) Manually delete any AMD and ATI related files from C:\windows\system32 and C:\windows\syswow64 -- for this step I use the command prompt:
    del C:\windows\system32\ati*.*
    del C:\windows\syswow64\amd*.*
    del C:\windows\system32\amd*.*
    del C:\windows\syswow64\ati*.*
    (7) Under Device Manager, right click your AMD card(s) and select Uninstall, and check the box that says 'Delete the driver software for this device'
    (8) Finally, reboot and install your new driver.

Using that process I have had 0 problems installing new Catalyst releases on Windows 8.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

5. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Thank you for posting this solution. :D You just saved me from having to redo the computer from scratch.

6. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Latest atiman works for 8. I ran it like 20 times.

7. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I will have to remember that if I ever need to do it again in the future. :D Thanks.

8. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    UAC must be turned off but atiman does that. :p

Once atiman is installed, I drop it's icon in CMD (admin) and it shows up. It will say uac needs to be disabled, if it's on it will reboot the machine and you are good to go. Press auto uninstall (A) and then C (when it asks you to input another letter).

9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It works flawlessly but nevertheless a new version is coming very soon.

10. John Larsen

John Larsen Banned

GPU:
    hd5970
    Please, run this info tool from Atiman and see all very critical files or entries that still exist on system after your method.

Also...

Atiman Uninstaller require full admin rights to run clear clean subroutines.
    For that, make sure you have that rights on Windows 8, and your account is active.

This is the method.

1) Press Win Key + R to open command window.
    2) Write lusrmgr.msc and press enter.
    3) Click on tab "Users"
    4) Right click on Administrator > Properties
    5) Unclick “Account is disabled” > Apply > OK.
    6) Right click on Administrator and click on "Set Password"
    7) Put the Administrator Password.

Now login as Administrator and install Atiman Uninstaller 7.0.2.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013