Looking for cheap HDMI 1.4 cable

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by ElementalDragon, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Figured this would be the best place to put this, but does anybody have any recommendations for a nice HDMI cable that'll work with 3D content from either PS3 or PC? Need it to be probably at least 10 feet long. I've been looking on Newegg, and not many of them have people commenting on whether or not the cable i'm looking at supports the HDMI 1.4 standard (or whatever you wanna call it), and those that DO mention it with 3D, seem to only really ever say that it DIDN'T work with that particular cable.

2. Mangix

Mangix Guest

There's no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. the whole version thing is for devices only.

http://monoprice.com is my source for HDMI cables. very high quality. They generally come in two flavors, ethernet and non-ethernet. Both will work with 3D.

edit: before I get asked about this, HDMI cables come in four flavors:

Standard speed with NO ethernet.
    Standard speed with ethernet.
    High speed with NO ethernet.
    High speed with ethernet.

Standard speed vs. high speed is a change is clock speed which in this case is 165Mhz vs. 340MHz. 340MHz lets you do 1600p60 as well as 1080p120. standard speed is limited to 1080p60. 340MHz also lets you do 3D since the extra bandwidth is needed.

Also, the reason there are four types of cables instead of two (standard vs. high speed) is because ethernet changes the pin configuration slightly. Pins 14 and 19 actually get used with ethernet(RX and TX) whereas with regular cables only pin 19 gets used for plug detection.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Ok.... so if i were going from my computer's GTX 570 to a 47" "120hz" (i say this because i'm still not quite sure if that's TRUE 120hz or simulated 120hz) Vizio 3D TV, would you recommend the high speed with ethernet or no ethernet?

4. Mangix

Mangix Guest

won't matter. get whichever. they'll both work equally well.

the ethernet portion is for devices that have the capability, which very few do.

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    All HDMI cables are created equally for a simple reason, they carry a digital signal.

So either the 1's and 0's make it to the TV or they don't.

6. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    as the other guy said

MONOPRICE

Just buy from there /thread

I would like to know this tho...with my current cables how can I tell which type of cable they are on appearance?

7. Mangix

Mangix Guest

Unless your cable has text on it that has useful information like Monoprice cables do, you can't.