NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Is there any fix for this when using 4x4 [4x4 Supersampling (D3D only)] for Serious Sam 3, it's the Ambient Occlusion going nuts.

For some reason using even 8x MSAA + 8x SSAA does nothing for the foliage, only 4x4 affects it but breaks AO.

Schermopname (431) kopiƫren.jpg

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is not.

3. vlad[54rus]

vlad[54rus] Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 2Gb
    For driver SSAA to work you must first disable game's own transparency AA:
    Code:
    gfx_iTransparencyAntiAliasing = 0
    I'm using ingame 4x MSAA + driver 4x SGSSAA and it looks great.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well i'm done with the game now, and never going to play it again. The final gauntlet was aweful!

5. Daedrix

Daedrix New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Does someone here have working bits for Resident Evil ""HD"" Remaster?? The ones posted here at page 137 only work up to 1080p. The game doesn't even seem to pick them up at 4K. Not even the built-in FXAA3 and FXAA3HQ seem to work. Only the regular FXAA does. But this game's resolutions over 1080p look "weird", like "upscaled". They can also only being unlocked though .ini editing. No game ever looked like this at 4K (this is 3840x2160 edited in the .ini, the screeshots come out at that res, with SGSSAA "on" btw)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Meanwhile this is 1080p upscaled at 4K with the working bits 0x080000C1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to crop the image to only show the character (the only 3d elements of the game anyway) cause the full 4K image was too big.
    Anyway, you can see how "true" 4K is clearer. Not only cause it lacks SGSSAA, but natively.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  7. Daedrix

Daedrix New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I'm actually using it. I tried both with and without it. The only thing it does for me is making the game recognize resolutions beyond 1080p from the in-game settings, without the need to modify the .ini, and to not make the game crash upon exit.

I also tried REHD Hook, another app supposed to make the game run above 1080p, no change. The fact that AA works only under Full HD res makes me think the game is fundamentally stuck at rendering at 1080p, and that unlocking the res merely "upscales" the picture.
    Differently from when simply selecting 1080p in-game on a 4K monitor but still, it's not "really" going above that.
    I mean... the 3d char at 4K should be razor sharp even if jaggy, yet he's still very much muddy: the 1080p picture with SGSSAA looks better than the ""native"" 4K one :confused:o_O

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, could be they downsample to 1080p if you use 4K so that the 3D rendered stuff doesn't stick out compared to the pre-rendered backgrounds. If that's true, then that could explain why they prevent AA, since downsampling is used.

Just a wild guess :p How does power consumption look like at 4K vs 1080p? If it increases, then that could indeed indicate 4K rendering to 1080p downsampling.

9. Daedrix

Daedrix New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Minimal difference. 203w at 4K vs 195w at 1080p. Same room same spot.

BTW downsampling also doesn't work to eliminate aliasing. I tried with DSR at something like 6K down to 4K and the results were the same (almost) as native 4K.
    You could tell some upscaling happened, but the 3d char had the usual soft, "jaggied" look.

I don't know how to quote lol "could be they downsample to 1080p if you use 4K so that the 3D rendered stuff doesn't stick out compared to the pre-rendered backgrounds. If that's true, then that could explain why they prevent AA, since downsampling is used."

If they really did that, and for that reason, they really ruined this game. Backgrounds can be upscaled. There's a mod in Nexus that does just that. But if you lock 3D rendering you ruined the game.
    Looks like the REmaster needs a remaster FACEPALM

EDIT: CPU usage is about 10-20%. GPU 78-92%. Both 1080p and 4K

Last edited: May 8, 2024
  10. Daedrix

Daedrix New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Just reporting that the same compatibility bits used for Resident Evil HD Remake (thus 0x080000C1 for SGSSAA) work for Resident Evil 0. But just as RE HD they only work at 1080p.

These games hard enforce an internal res limit of 1920x1440p. Not even with multiple "patches" that ideally override that limit I've been able to make the render at "true" 4K (I suspect these patches though have been made to make the game playable for those with weaker rigs, as the games normally would output 1920x1440 res textures even if they set their res at 1280x720p, making the game unplayably slow for them).

For example, in RE 0, the items in the inventory, when you inspect them, render at the expected res (so 4 crystal clear K) but the 3D char do not, and still look extremely muddy upscaled from 1080p

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, use 1080p and enable integer scaling in NVCP to get some of the retro flair :p

12. Daedrix

Daedrix New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Jokes aside :p upscaling directly from 1080p to 4K gives FAR better results than using the built-in (in case of RE 0) 4K option! See for yourself and tell me if 1080p upscaled with 8xMSAA on doesn't look better than native 4K:

1080p to 4K 8xMSAA: re msaa far.png

native 4K no AA: re no aa far.png

If you notice even the background is more detailed at 1080p upscaled.

But the inventory REALLY benefited from true 4K

1080p to 4K: Immagine - .png

native 4K: Immagine-.png

Needless to say, at 4K only FXAA works, but blurs the image and the quality is still much worse than upscaled 1080p with 8xMSAA

At 1080p MSAA still wins vs 8xSGSSAA, which blurs and softens the image too much to be justifiable (I'm not gonna post other images since I'm already sorry for the HUGE pics I had to post; see for yourselves to believe...)

So, from my tests, the BEST form of AA for Resident Evil 0 at 4K is: native res 1080p upscaled to 4K with 8xMSAA (0x08000041) no AA fix

13. Markie

Markie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    It seems that I missed it at the time, AA fix is required for this, you get seamlines in some geometry without it. Also took the opportunity to test Max Payne 2 with the same flag plus its widescreen fix and the d3d8to9 wrapper and it works pretty much the same. I didn't find any seamlines in that one but I'm guessing AA fix might also be required for it at some point since the games are so similar.

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne - 0x000000C1 with ThirteenAG's widescreen fix (which also includes crosire's d3d8to9 wrapper)

No AA
    [​IMG]

8x SGSSAA
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2024 at 10:30 PM