AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 24.3.1 - Driver Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kalima, Mar 20, 2024.

?

You have still crash with 23.4.1 on HellDivers 2 With RX7900XTX ?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Oh right, interesting, thanks for that info. It's not that I experience problems per se on newer drivers, they play anything without errors, they are just nowhere near as smooth on my system as 22.5.1. It's like the shader compiling in-game is pretty much unnoticeable whilst playing (Unreal Engine, Unity or Telltale Engine based games to name a few) whereas on the modern drivers it will result in that visible, on-screen hitch caused by a frametime spike.

Specific games installed currently that display this behaviour off the top of my head include -

Life Is Strange Remastered games (UE4 & Unity 2019)
    The Forgotten City (UE4)
    State Of Mind (UE4)
    Oxenfree/Afterparty (Unity)
    The Surge (Fledge Engine)
    Tacoma (Unity 2018)
    The Walking Dead The Final Season (Telltale Tool/Engine)

Could be my CPU I suppose, it's just a 5600X but I'm maxing out the GPU on both drivers and 22.5.1 is by far the smoother driver. If anyone else bothers to check this on their setup and gets similar results, please post. Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    illusiveman likes this.
  2. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Sadly I don't own any of those games.
    Definitely not your CPU. It more than enough with a 6700XT.

Rubalvar and PapaJohn like this.
  3. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    What is that nonsense?

You are ill informed my guy.
    MX pastes all pumpout.

Phase change material supports a crap ton of heat cycles and basically never pumps out.
    And it's not a thermal pad.

Sufferage, Nicholas Bond and Cp0 like this.
  4. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    22.5.1 was latest Old Dx11 driver. 22.5.2 May Preview was first with new. Tbh i didn't notice any difference with shader compilation stutter. I hate UE Shader compilation since 2014 so i am very sensitive for this. Im gonna do some test with CapframeX, Sea of thieves and 22.5.1 vs 24.3.1.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    PapaJohn and Cp0 like this.

5. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Apologies, it is 22.5.1 I've been testing with. I'll edit my previous posts.

Cp0 likes this.
  6. Rubalvar

Rubalvar Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT
    Since 22.5.1 they changed the DX11 driver to improve performance at the expense of more shader compilation, mainly at the beginning of the gameplay or when changing drivers. Lately the stuttering seemed to get worse, but in this driver it has improved noticeably. Let's expect the improvement continues in the next drivers, I don't see reverting to a 2 years old driver an option.

PapaJohn likes this.
  7. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    OK that's good to know and I'll bear it in mind. I'll keep trying the new drivers as they come out. Thanks.

Rubalvar likes this.
  8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Anyone else having this issue of color Bit Depth being stuck at 10bit? I didn't know till I was watching some vids on VLC player and noticed some banding, turns out that even though 10bit Bit Pixel Format was disabled, Windows report that Bit Depth is 10bit.

Edit - Just noted that while I have refresh rate set to 144Hz, reflected on both Windows and Adrenalin CP, the monitor onscreen control shows it to be 120Hz. To save myself the confusion, I've reset Windows to 120Hz...and adjusted Adrenalin Max FPS to 120fps, makes no difference to me as I don't see the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz in the game I play anyway.

Rubalvar likes this.
  9. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    You mistook actual output bitrate for OGL comptability flag in graphics settings (which almost never should be used iirc).
    What you look for is Gaming -> Display -> Color depth -> 8bpc
    I will note though that Windows automatic color management will also upgrade 8 bit to 10bit dithered (aka 8+2)

10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    That option appears to be some kind of a DWM hack to allow OpenGL windows to run with 10 bit inside DWM without clipping -> disable it, it can't do most users any good and is just one potential source of additional issues.
    Display output depth can be changed in Adrenalin display settings (click the gear icon). When you have HDR or auto-color management enabled in Windows, it might also force 10 bit due do that. If your display screws up 10 bit, you could delete it from EDID in Custom Resolution Utility.

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, gosh darn it, don't I feel like a monkey's behind....:oops: Thanks!

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    The layout with that gear icon and the confusing 10 bit pixel format option are kinda silly imho.
    Imho gaming should be renamed to "Graphics" and they should put global gaming, game profiles, display and video there. Probably would make too much sense? :D

Rubalvar and DimkaTsv like this.
  13. kProphetk

kProphetk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT MECH 2X
    I'm taking your advice and I got some on order. I think I may have found out why I was crashing all of a sudden. Being new to the AMD software I kinda made a noob adjustment that I didnt realize how it affect my GPU clocks.

I adjusted the Minimal Clock Speed. I had run the Stress Test and a 3DMark to see if things was ok. I read all that I could here and I am so glad there are people that are willing to help out, no matter the issue one may be having.

My Min Clock was set to 2300Mhz and Max was at 2700Mhz.

Once I set it to like 2k, everything is not back to normal, so I looked up the default speed and it was 500Mhz. So I set it back to 500Mhz.

Ive have used MSI Afterburner from day 1 when I learned about it and this was a first. So I am grateful for everyone helping me through my issues.

MerolaC likes this.
  14. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    OMG, you are right. 22.5.1 was far more smooth with stutter comparing to 24.3.1.
    Methodology:
    Capture first run of the Maiden Voyage with DX11 mode.
    Capture starts with loading. Drivers are fully default, my GPU runs on default too.
    upload_2024-3-28_7-32-42.png

upload_2024-3-28_7-34-11.png
    I noticed that i had some Streaming assets issue with 22.5.1. Title screen didn't load on time and i saw background only, but stutter was a lot of smoother (still noticed, but shorter compared to 24.3.1)
    Also i have better FPS with 22.5.1. Im not sure why. I thought my GPU run much much more noisy with 25.3.1, but i need to back to 22.5.1 again to check it. Core and Power Draw captured by CapframeX looks the same.
    Summary:
    Yes. 22.5.1 can provide better "stuttering" experience.

EDIT: That noise was ICUE problem and that fans was my case fans, not GPU. I guess ICUE using regular GPU temp sensor on 22.5.1 and Hotspot on 24.3.1

Cp0 and PapaJohn like this.
  15. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    I wouldn't say WAY smoother, based on what i see on graphs but 22.5.1 did perform better for sure. Both in FPS and frametime consistency

16. Cp0

Cp0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    80 fps has not felt smooth at all on most games since i got an LG Ultra wide almost as if freesync is broken in this range, this was the same atleast in World of Warcraft back on my 6900 XT with 22.5.1

Anyway they should defiantly address these issues where possible

If went from a Samsung G9 to a LG ultrawide cos many G9 i received all had crap load of dead pixels but it was way smoother in the 80 fps range

When i check monitor osd for example during a game at 80 fps lock it remains 100% at 80 fps but my monitor osd is all over the place sometimes steady 82 hz then randomly spiking to 60 hz and up to 120 hz even disengaging to 144hz at a 80 fps lock

Also i still need to restart steam if i open certain sections of steam for example like controller section in settings and calibrate any big picture related screen after it closes forces 90+ watts idle until i restart steam, and i honestly cannot believe how ignorant AMD is towards issues if been starting to make a list from this topic and reddit that been reported since 24.3.1 release to see how many of those issues even get adressed or listed in 24.4.1 or future drivers.

Anyway unsure about about my monitor issue i know at lower framerates its supose to do LFC low framerate compensation but i do not think this supose to kick in at 80 fps this is usually below 60 fps, my panel also updates really slow so it could be doing something funny.

On the otherhand on desktop if been having a bug what i think is a bug or a feature who knows does not effect desktop stability and it does not happen in games i think, my screen osd randomly drops 97hz every few seconds when set to 144hz but if i lower to 120 hz it randomly drops to 85hz instead and if i set to 75hz it does not drop at all anymore it only does this at 120 hz and 144hz never did this before, in the past i think its just done intentionally cos its able to idle much lower if FreeSync Premium Pro is enabled

Anyway i am curious if they fix or list issue with performance cpu metrics being fixed next driver or being known issue seems to effect everyone breaks at random, so its not always broken if personally noticed it being broken least since 24.2.1 possibly 24.1.1, i tell everyone to bug report it not sure how many are doing a bug report tho.

Wish i had no reason to complain, but i am very annoyed they been ignoring World of Warcraft issues for 482+ days now, alto some users have reported they have had no crashes since 24.3.1 these usually come back to give an update that they had their first crash couple of days later.

My crashes have not be very frequent ever since i am on 7900 XTX but still happens, and last 2 months on 6900 XT only had crash once a day with 10+ hours play time a day, usually leading into a screen freeze / hang cos TDR is not detecting a frozen video scheduler, wow when you get a TDR usually just remains active it just restarts it self, but for it to happen GPU driver needs to reset thru time out detection, which for some reason rarely happens in wow as if the game is enforcing TdrDelay of infinity while running.

17. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    It should be under 60 FPS, you are right. I assume your panel is 240 Hz so it does LFC at 80 Hz?

Walking timer... Number feels too specific. As if you count down hours in your head)

About crashes... I hadn't encountered them since last time i increased voltage curve (to 1135 mV), so i guess i can call my experience as smooth enough?

18. z8373767

z8373767 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT/8650G+7970M
    Stutter was noticeable shorter during gameplay. You can see it on the graph. Yes. 22.5.1 perform better somehow. Checked it twice, always after DDU.

PapaJohn likes this.
  19. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Did you enable WoW's own latency reduction? It's crap and ruins frame times, Anti-Lag seems to work much better.
    Also, 80fps look also like like crap with perfect frame times when you got used to 120+. Sad, but inevitable. Especially on OLED that adds less motion blur than LCD (FG for the win).

Cp0 likes this.
  20. Cp0

Cp0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    My LG ultrawide is 144 hz

I have it enabled i guess i disable it, i don't think it impact anything tho, but hopefully i am wrong.